1972 18' Greavette Sunflash IV psudo-blog

Sean

Oil pan finished today...and is in the mail.
Found a gas tank fabricator today also (and he's near home).

Who knows, maybe I'll get her wet on time after all!

Sean

Drew up plans for a new fuel tank and dropped them with the fabricator today.
1 week eta on having another BIG piece (and one of the last) of the puzzle.

Sean

Purchased a low profile bilge pump and will install it today.
Also picked up a fuel/water filter and a fuel vent anti surge valve.

I will have to strengthen up the decks in the engine bay today, finish some wiring details and hopefully be ready for the new tank (ready this coming week. Once the tank is in, the motor is not far behind! (still waiting on USPS for the oil pan/pump).

Sean

Boy am I ever sore and tired from climbing around that engine bay all day.
But, Bilge pump in.
Decks on.
wiring looms sorta run....
Trim pump located (lines on finger tight...need to screw the assembly to the deck.)

I'm having some trouble figuring where the trim sender wires go????
I have the Trim limiter oned done though.

Sean

New Oil Pan and oil pump showed up today!
Back to the engine shop tomorrow afternoon to have them installed.

Also my new gas tank sending unit arrived (from California) and I have to pick it up in the morning.
Will make sure to book the boat in for a Monday AM fitting of the motor. Maybe the gas tank will be ready too and I can get that in this weekend.

Sean

Oil pan will be on by Tuesday... we're cuttin this close!

Oh, I have also decided not to install the Bennett trim tabs at this time. Just one more thing to go wrong at this stage really....I think I would like it to be reliable first. We'll see how she runs and probably install them next fall/winter.

Last edited:

Sean

Gas tank guy hadn't started when I called at 9AM today! But, he also promised that was Job 1 for today. To make ammends, we are switching to a stainless steel tank. hopefully it's ready Mon-Tues next week.

They wanted $6 sq ft for marine carpet...(over $600 with shipping) so I went to Cosco and bought an outdoor mould resistant rug at $85. I cut it to shape tonight and melted the edges just like dock rope.... it's comfortable, looks fantastic and it will be unique.

I went down to the marine tech this afternoon and booked in my boat for engine insertion for Wednesday. I hung around for a couple of hours and helped remove a 4.3 from a Charger.

Sean

I have a cold. It's late June,...and I have a cold. Not that it's bad timing or anything. I have two weekends to the inagural poker run and I have a cold. And it's not just any minor sniffle. I'm totally out of action! I cannot remember , ever, ever having a cold like this.

Crap.

Sean

It's tuesday... still sick. BUT, i have to get back to work!!!
Fuel sender to gas tank guy today...also, check in to see if pan is on the engine.

Sean

New oil pan went on yesterday. I also reinstalled the power streering pump cooler, lines and tidied a few loose wires. The engine now sits under the crane at the shop (with my new SEI drive) awaiting the hull for "the meeting".

Hmmmmm. ever notice marine shops are busy this time of year?

Latest ETA on the fuel tank is Friday.

Sean

Sorry for the delay, but we were working to a deadline...which we missed!

But the motor is in and aligned, the new drive is on (with the new high five prop), the wires are sorted and the cables are run. We had to replace the starter as it would not disengage. But, we finally test ran and found a few oil leaks as well as a badly leaking power steering pump reservoir.

The new stainless steel gas tank is ready to go in (powdercoated a nice silver) along with new 2" fill cap and USCG approved hose.

The boat is home again as the rest of the jobs are small. Only it's bloddy hot and humid between rain and lightening storms around here.... so I'll have to pick my work times carefully.

Sean

Picking up the p/s pump this AM. Weather is 24*C sunny and reduced humidity. It looks as though I have the day to get the pump in and the oil leaks fixed.

Then we'll pop in the new tank, slide on the muffs and see if we can make some noise!

Sean

Well,
the rebuilt pump is on, the oil leakes fixed (I hope). I took every fitting apart and used "pipe dope" for gasoline fittings. I ran the vent line, bolted in the tank brackets, slid in the heavy tank (several times for fitting purposes) and contorted myself to have her all buttoned up. Redesigned the fuel pick ip in 3/8 and soldered a new tube, and screen. Installed the works with a fuel shut off valve and compression fitting.

Then I snapped the vent check valve...DOH!!!! Have to go to West Marine tomorrow for a new one (was working today). Need to make a mount for the remote oil filter and fuel/water seperator tonight. Hopefully mount the filters and run the new fuel line tomorrow.

Then we'll see if I can afford the $1.32 per litre liquid gold, and kick this pig!

After that I'll re route some cables and re install the interior.

Sean

Well, I haven't posted as I have been working flat out to get this woody splashed!

...and managed to do just that yesterday. 3 hours of break-in time on Lake Muskoka saw perfect engine and oil temps, good charging system, no leaks from any components and an almost flawless performance from my Greavette.

I broke from the break-in program only once to set a speed of 78kph (or 48.5MPH) at 4,400rpm. This engine should run to 5,000 RPM so I might have some prop tuning in my future. The control cables were a bit stiff and vague so, I might not be getting WOT....I'll be checking that too.

But, all in all a sucessful test day.

Sean

Put the new cables in last night.

It was a bit of work as I had to take out the rear and driver seats to remove panels in order to get access to the control box.

All seems to have gone well and I'll have 'er in the water tomorrow morning!