1972 18' Greavette Sunflash IV psudo-blog

Sean

Not only did the rain NOT stay away...it hailed and then SNOWED! On May 12th!!!!
Still too cold to paint anything right now. Forcast says 20*C this afternoon.

Dyno date got moved to Thursday afternoon. Any guesses on dyno numbers from a hot rod 4.3?

Sean

Just back from the dyno.
the good news... the engine is tight, no leaks, great oil pressure and seems well put together.
The bad news...we had carburettor issues with the brand new edelbrock carb. first a sticking float, then tuning issues (with no replacement parts) despite installing the manufacturers reccomended calibration kit.

So, we have ordered a tuning kit and will try again next tuesday (after the long weekend).

The weather is perfect this weekend so I'll be working in the bilge.

Sean

Vacuumed, cleaned and painted the engine bay bilge today. Then painted the new engine cradle and gave the bottom of the boat(below the water line) a new coat of copper anti-foul.

Tomorrow, I'll do a second coat in the bilge and I will make new decking for each side of the engine bay and cover it with vinyl and aluminum trim. If there's time left over I might start the Bennett trim tab installation.

Sean

Got the second coat done....and finished the cradle (bolted in place). I cut out and painted the deck pieces. So today I will cover the topside with floor vinyl and trim it out.

Also will re-install the bilge pump....and have a look at the trim tab installation (again)

Sean

BIG News...Friday back from the engine dyno!
Got the little fire breather all dialed in. Lots of oil pressure, fuel pump works and she runs smooth like a kitten then pulls strong up to redline.
Nice flat power curve too.

Max HP 235.7 @ 5100
Max torque 273.5 @3500

Today I reinstalled the bilge ducts, hoses and pump. finished the trim on the engine room deck. Started sorting out the cabin deck.

she goes in the shop Monday to have the gimble housing installed and the engine fitted.

Sean

With that power... I'm thinkin' I'll move up to a 1:50 drive ratio to have greater flexibility.

Sean

The boat went in today to have the t-plate and gimble assy fitted.

Unfortunately there was a depression from the old drive when it as removed so we may have to cut and fill a bit.

For even worse news...Once I got the new engine cradle in place I went over all the measurements. It looks like the oil pan mod was not enough...so, I need to have a new custom oil pan made. :(

This might take two weeks! Yikes, my deadline may be shot...

Sean

Good news...Ordered a custom pan to clear the frame. and it will only take a week! (no too expensive either.) One problem solved.

Bad news...the depression on the transom around the gimble hole is only the beginning. The wood is not flat anywhere (using a framing square). The old MR drive had a thick cork gasket that sealed the gap...they don't have those gaskets for Alpha One.

It gets worse...upong checking, the new transom was made only 1.75" thick. (Merc spec in min 2" , Max 2.5"). So, the drive shaft will be too deep in the gimble. not sure how to fix this one. Add to the inside? or the outside and fix the non level surface at the same time?

Sean

Thinking about this most of the night....

I think we'll router a flat surface 1/8" deep on the outside around the shape of the hole to get a flat surface, then add plywood to the inside to bring to spec.

It HAS to look nice too!

Sean

So, for a distraction....I ordered my new SEI SE106 drive today.
Went with the 1.47 ratio. Ordered a couple of trim cylinders too.
Should be here by friday.

My marine Tech also called today. looks like we are going to add to the outside of the transom (It's easier to work there). The mahogony spacer will be the exact outline of the drive gimble and faired to the transom. Of course it's "another Thousand" !

nathan

That will look killer!! since it is a wooden boat doesn't that mean another 2 thousand! but I would love to have one.

Sean

I am concerned over how it will look. But, as long as it fixes the problem I'll be okay. At the very least it'll be unique (the boat already is).

:)

Sean

Drive showed up at the front step yesterday...Wow that was fast!
It was packed nicely and looks great.

I still pulled the SE106 stickers and will reinstall my vintage (metallic red) Mercruiser stickers. these are hard to come by so, I'll wait to make sure this is the drive for me.

Sean

Well, The transom fix was fantastic! You can't even tell it's been done. The rebuilt (and powdercoated) gimble assembly is back on the boat. The T-plate is secure and torqued. the steering is hooked up too.

The hitch this week was the "Y" pipe didn't have enough clearance from the decks either side of the engine.... So I have removed them, cut them down, made new trim and built new supporting framework tying into the original mounts for the old framework. It looks good.

I also installed new bilge vent hoses. I used stock car bumper brake ducts and duct hose to make sure it is functional, and of good quality. I installed the mounts for the battery box so now all is secure there.

Next steps:
1) I'm waiting on a new custom oil pan that should be here this week.
2) I am looking into a custom fuel tank (it might be the only solution that fits)
3) ordered a new "torpedo" low profile type bilge pump to clear the oil pan.
4) ordered a fuel/water seperator
5) ordered a fuel vent surge protection valve

Geez, I hope I can get all this together before the end of the month...fingers crossed!