1972 18' Greavette Sunflash IV psudo-blog

Sean

Well,
I've been posting enough that I thought i should keep a progress report (of sorts) in one place. So, this is the place.

The (condensed) story so far...Bought the factory original boat in 2008. general condition overall was good. A couple of soft spots led to a chain of decisions that resulted in a complete new hull, about half the frames and keel plus new transom.

While the hull was at the SPA, the Mercruiser 165 HP IL6 cyl and pre-alpha drivetrain was out being refreshed (with no major surgery). They were reunited in spring of 2011 and scheduled for completion for August 2011. Uh...nope. didn't happen for many reasons so, we pushed for spring 2011 and I got the boat back in May 2011.

Due to the messed up timing I had to send the boat for it's interior right away (or loose the spot at the shop I'd waited 2 years for). We decided to modify the interior to allow for a hidden convertable top by moving the rear seat forward. At the same time we chose a more modern "Greavette" upholstery pattern while leaving the wrap around seating. The combination ALMOST proved too much and the progress was slow. In the end I received the boat back in mid - June...But the results were spectacular.

So off to the wiring shop it went for a two day complete re-wire job. This, of course turned into a 5 week ordeal. While the wiring worked it wasn't what I wanted and wasn't a neat as i was expecting...but, what are you going to do?

I was excited to pick the boat up and finally get it wet. It looked great and drove beautifully except...and there's always an EXCEPT...it was overheating. the details of this problem are on this forum in other areas. Suffice it to say we tried, and tried until late September to get it right. After looking at the dollars spent and the still looming uncertainty of the actual problem I decided to ditch the old powertrain for a new one.

I found a 1988 EDSON 17' GTS with a 4.3 V6 Mercruiser/alpha combination. I test drove the craft, bought it and had it delivered to my boat tech in the same day. Two days later the Edson was "chips in a landfill" and the important stuff was in my garage.

In the mean time, I changed all the rub rails on the Greavette to 1" polished aluminum and re-worked the boat cover tie downs on the trailer to withstand trailering with the cover on (or hurraicane Sandy).

After a little research, I bought a pair of Vortec heads from the local pick-a-part and sent them to be redone. new 1.6 roller rockers and stiffer springs included. I also ordered an edelbrock 2114 manifold and matching edelbrock 1409 carb to feed the Vortecs. The other big choice was a Mercruiser camshaft (from the 230HP version of the 4.3). I have also treated myself to an aluminum water pump and alloy engine pullies to lighten up this lump and add a little bling for the ACBS purists to get peeved at.

So, as of November 11 (rememberance Day) this is where we sit.

Sean

Thanks nathan,
I spent today stripping the 4.3 of all the ancilleries in preperation of a trip to the engine shop next week.

Sean

Well it's a busy week,

1) The Greavette is at the fabrication shop having an aluminum sub assembly welded up for the forward motor mounts....

2) The motor was dropped off at the engine shop for it's rebuild...

3) I bought a set (kit) of Bennett trim tabs...

4) Tomorrow I'm meeting up with a member of this board to buy a new (to me) 21 pitch High five prop.

5) Friday the boat hits the winter indoor heated storage hide-a-way!

Sean

Steven,
It was nice meeting you today.
Thanks for the great prop...and the chat.

S.

Sean

It was a slow boating day today....
So, as the boat is not hitting storage till Monday now, I pulled out the old bow eye and the trim that runs down the stem/keel. Will sand, fill screw holes, repaint with anti-foul tomorrow and then secure a new trim piece on Sunday.

Sean

All went well with the weekends work.
The trim new piece for the stem was too narrow so I took a piece of the old rub rail, cut it to length and shaped the ends. I then steel-wooled (fine) the entire length to get rid of the built up cr*p, filed away any burrs and then polished to a high gloss on the wheel. Looks great.

I also bought a set of alloy pullies for the motor (crank, water pump, power steering. alternator) as the price was great. But, when they arrived the circulating pump pully was not a correct 3V marine pully and I had to buy the right one from Moore Performance Marine. It's on the way from California now!

All set to put the hull/trailer in hibernation today.

Sean

Went by the engine shop today...
Block is all torn down, cleaned and honed.
Planned out the oil pan modifications.
Assembly will start next week.

And at home I sand blasted my thermostat housing...how exciting.

Okay, stupid story about putting the boat away earlier this week....
I'm in a hurry because it's getting dark. I'm all hooked up, and I put the lock on the tongue latch but, I put the key (on a lanyard) on the back of my truck bed cover. Yup you guessed it. Drove away and lost the damn key.
I figured it out only after driving 25 minutes to the storage site, then backing (about 25 yards) into an underground parking garage with no lights and inches to spare from the other vehicles/boats/tractors/equipment being stored there.

What to do??? I pulled the pin on the hitch and left everything there. Looked all the way home (in the dark) with a hope of spotting the lanyard and for a couple of days after, across the entire route to no avail. Went up yesterday and cut off the old lock with a hacksaw and replaced it with a new one. Sheeeesh!

Last edited:

Sean

I picked up my gimble housing pieces from the bodyshop yesterday....
Turns out they didn't want to paint them!
So I'll wheel them by the local powdwercoater this week to see if i need another mortgague. It's too cold in my garage to paint them myself...but it might come to that.

Excited that the motor assembly starts later this week!

Sean

Today's mess up...
The engine builder called and apparently I ordered the wrong camshaft! When I ordered, I specified the cam for the 23HP motor...which is an MPI engine with a balance shaft. So it is too short and has no provision for the fuel pump cam. Easy fix though...Cam shop will re grind the old one to the same profile for $170. ...phew,saved.

On the cool side the oil pan modifications look real good and fittment in between the hull frames should be good.

Sean

Picked up my BNIB Bennett trim tab kit today.
Was a steal of a price (on e-bay even) !

The guy might be able to scare up a "silent choice" system too!
Fingers crossed.

Sean

The latest boat story surrounds financing....

For a numberr of reasons I have been downsizing other hobbies/collections. This was taken into account when planning the 4.3 rebuild. The major item I sold was my collection of classic racing snowmobiles. I did not commit to the engine job until I made a deal on this collection (which had enveloped my garage with parts , chassis etc...).

So, after several delays the buyer finds himself in a cash flow situation and it looks like the deal will go south. Until he calls me with a counter....turns out he had a 1979 Corvette. Numbers matching 4 speed manual brought to Canada from the USA. He put it on the table and now things were interesting.

Long story short, I wanted my garage back (and I got that) and now there's a beautiful candy apple red Corvette parked there. I have to divert other funds to the engine , and hold off on the exhaust manuifolds for a while but what a sweet deal....I'm giddy!

Now I'll drive the Vette in the spring until she sells then I should have enough to cover the engine/drive install (replace the other funds I will use) and maybe go on a small holiday.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the updates.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

-Chris

Sean

Stopped by the engine shop yesterday...
The oil pan modification is done and they just finished installing the new (modified) oil pick up. It all looks so cool.

The reason we modified the pan is to clear one of the hull frames. Unlike "tupperware" boat parallel stringers, the woodys frames are perpendicular to the transom and in this application, it looked as though there was one right in the path of the oil pan.

Still not sure we have licked the problem...but I know we have done everything we can to clear on the engine side. So, if there's still a problem I'll have to clearance the wooden frame support and sandwich it between 1/4" aluminum plates to beef it up.

Lookin' to paint the engine all black. With the chrome risers and polished alloy pullies it should look "badass" even if it isn't a fire breathing V8. Any other "colour " suggestions? GM orange...red, silver and grey were all considered.