1977 playcraft p24 pontoon

Peels

this is cool!

A "carte blanche" pontoon project would be fun. (not so says the wallet)

I would love it.

good luck.

also love the wood Bennington pontoon previously posted. neat...

but if I had get a pontoon, it would be this:

http://www.avalonpontoons.com/images/avalon-windjammer-funship-pontoon-boat-angle_2-2014.jpg

my kids saw it and wont shut up about it! LOL. Cant say Im not thinking about it too! but man o man: $$$$$$ And Im a trailering guy, that would be MISERABLE... :)

Last edited:

nathan

pontoons are easy to trailer. the newer ones that have three pontoon and 300 hp motors handle like a regular boat and are seeing speeds up to 50 mph. you can also get pontoons with 496 big blocks in them.

Peels

pontoons are easy to trailer. the newer ones that have three pontoon and 300 hp motors handle like a regular boat and are seeing speeds up to 50 mph. you can also get pontoons with 496 big blocks in them.

Not worried that its a pontoon.. Ive towed them before.

its just so tall. It would be terrible....and I have nowhere it would fit to store. I REFUSE to keep a boat outside with no roof.

Yeah, the test of a two level one like this with a yamaha 225 on it, topping out at 42 mph...got me thinking....

but it lists at 75k with the top tier and slide like that.... I'd have to have more free time to make that worth it. Or have it wet slipped for QUICK access.

not gonna lie and say im not still considering it though!

nathan

If I had a pontoon with a tall second level like that I may think differently about trailering it as well.

nathan

I converted a regular engine stand to hold the pontoon's motor.

I decided that for the first couple of nights I would leave the engine hoist hooked on just incase the wood slits or something. better safe that sorry.

nathan

yep she was checking in because I would not let her stay out with me while I has getting the motor off and on the stand.

while my girls were playing at a friends house I figured I would use the nice weather to do some more work on the pontoon. so I removed the motor pod

I then removed all the cross members

it was a pain because very bolt head look like this but there was nothing on the top
of the bolts so they were all rusted

but I did find something that will need welding. on the left pontoon the top seam is broken and someone tried to fix it with jb weld and it was on me.

http://s233.photobucket.com/user/nb... pontoon/20131215_155224_zps5x097ibp.jpg.html

Sean

WOW!!!!
talk about a total restoration.... Are you leaving anything bolted together?
It truly will be a new boat, um err... platform... uhhhh moving dock thingy... mmmmm party barge, ya that's it a new mobile PARTY BARGE! :)

nathan

I plan to polish them if they will polish. right now I will be happy if they come out smooth. It looks like they have not been cleaned in 20 years. I will have to get my wire wheel after it.

Sean

There are some options. Wire wheel only places you cannot see with the deck back on and maybe below the waterline. Once clean, you could mask off and paint below the water line.

I would suggest wet sanding all other areas before using a wire wheel of any kind. After a wire wheel it is almost impossible to get a decent finish.

nathan

I will actually try chemicals first and wire wheel as a last choice. they are pretty nasty. I will try to take some pictures later.

Sean

Chemicals will only get you so far.... wet sanding does work! It just takes elbow grease, patience and time. A combination of steps may expedite the process. Also consider some polishing compound and a high speed buffer.

Sean

I do live in the south.... of Canada.
About the same latitude as the northern border of IOWA. (or Sioux falls, SD) both well south of the 49th parallel that defines most of the USA-Canada border.

Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to locate much further south. There was some talk at one point years ago of the Turks & Caicos Islands joining Canada.... that'd be nice. But, probably not in my lifetime if it ever happened.

The good thing about winter seasons is that the lakes and rivers freeze. This gives a chance for them to settle out. As a result (amongst other things) we have clear as crystal inland waterways.