1977 playcraft p24 pontoon

Sean

Okay, they are now pressurized up to 5 PSI see note at bottom...

NOTE: All fuel tanks manufactured after January 1st, 2011 for sale in the United States are required to remain sealed up to a minumum of 5psi per new EPA regulations. This assists in preventing fuel evaporation, saving gas and money. This is normal tank operation. Attwood fuel tanks include an automatic vacuum valve to ensure proper fuel flow and engine operation. All Attwood portable fuel compoments are designed to exceed OEM engine fuel flow requirements.

So the "vacuum valve" is supposed to prevent fuel starvation, and I would assume the cap must still vent anything over 5 PSI on the positive side. I guess that explains your primer bulb issue.

I'm still pretty sure that gasoline under pressure is an explosive risk.....I'm glad the EPA is willing to make that call in light of safety to promote a cleaner environment...Now when will they ACTUALLY restrict smoke stack emissions form all the factories on the great lakes???

Last edited:

nathan

I installed the "on demand fuel valve" first but it did not fix the issue. I read a bunch of people online saying that on the old outboards they were having to leave their caps loose or they were putting on their old caps off of the old tanks. so I put the cab (with a vent) off one of the others tanks I still had and it fixed the problem. the new fuel lines may have helped some too but if I closed the vent on the cap the fuel level in the clear filter will start to drop.

nathan

I got some more done on the pontoon. finished painting the motor just to make it look better

I also finished replacing the head on the trolling motor that I picked up

I also got the mount on the front plus I picked up and installed a 3 step telescoping ladder for $30 from ebay. also mounted the battery boxes for the 2 batteries for the 24v trolling motor.

and last I made mounts and got the top mounted

nathan

we plan to take it out this weekend but the next thing I have to do is get a propeller shaft bearing cage for the lower unit as it has just started leaking a small amount of oil. the one on it has been repaired and I am afraid that if I take it off it will break. so I will check the oil lever in the foot before we go out. it does not leak enough to be an issue.

nathan

well I made it out today but when the fuel filter was just about dry and did not want to get away from the bank. I guess I am going to drain the tank again to make sure it is clean. the lake must be my kryptonite. works great in the driveway but messes up at the lake.
angry.gif

nathan

well as I was working on draining the fuel tank I started messing with the motor and noticed that the transom had more flex that it had prior. I was hoping to put this off until the winter but with the amount of movement I decided that I needed to fix it. so I took off the motor and disassembled the transom. here are the pictures of it disassembled.

here is how much the motor was leaning in at the bottom

nathan

ok the transom is done. I wanted to use marine plywood but no one around here carries it. they all have cdx (treated) and one has ccx (Treated that is none corrosive to aluminum). I used some panels that I had because summer is here and I want to enjoy the boat and do not have the time or money to wait for plywood to arrive. I painted them as I was unsure if they were treated but I believe they are. when I redo the deck this or next winter I will redo the transom with new marine plywood and aluminum. I did replace the bolts this time. the best part is there is no movement in the motor anymore!

nathan

hopefully if I get the fuel issue fixed that will be my next step. I completely drained and cleaned the tank out to get rid of any sludge that was in it from the old gas. I am letting it dry out now and will put gas in later this week and give it a try in the driveway.

nathan

ok I have not updated this in a few so here we go. after I got new fuel in the tank the boat was still not running the best. I then rebuilt the fuel pump and it was better so my daughters and I went to the lake. the boat would idle fine and go in reverse fine. but when I put it in forward it would flood down. I found that the lower head bolts need to be tightened. I did and it put the compression back over 100. I am at 110 and 120 on the cylinders. now the boat will go in to forward now with out flooding down. now off to the lake this weekend.

nathan

well tomorrow we are taking the boat out to see how she does. but that will be one of her last rides. I have sold the boat to my parents. the interesting part is that my dad told me they wanted it today and would pay my asking price with a down payment and monthly payments. I would prefer all the money up front but I cannot tell my parents no. also my dad said that the sale also included that I be on a repair contract to fix the boat anytime he needs me too. go to love family deals. I have another project in mind but I will reveal that when the deal is done.

Sean

Well then, I guess congratulations are in order...
Congrats.

Does the "deal" have a you can borrow it clause?
If so, find yourself a nice DONZI!!!!!

nathan

I believe there is a can borrow clause especially if I am still wrenching on it. there are not many good donzi around here.

nathan

non in my price range. I was looking at a 78 glastron clarson cvx 20 but the person sold it. so I think I am still going with a cruiser. I am going to look at one tomorrow.

nathan

well I took out the pontoon today and it was running good and then it just shut off. I made it to shore with the trolling motor. and found that the engine was very hot and some wires had melted to the engine block. so we let my kids play and the engine cool. when it was cool I pulled the wires loose from the block and one another. the engine started up so we idled bad to the ramp. it did not seem to get too hot on the way back. I believe the motor is just too small for this boat so I am going to look for a larger motor.

nathan

as I am still the mechanic on this boat and my parents said that I it had to run so I picked up a 1974 85hp evinrude for the boat today with controls for 300 dollars!! now to clean it up get it on the pontoon and enjoy a real motor.

nathan

ok I needed to get the 300 dollar motor out of my truck but I did not want it on my floor. plus that I needed a place to work on it in the garage and a place to put the 50 hp force when it comes off. so I had a Harbor freight furniture dolly and some old 2x4s. so after some work I built a outboard motor stand that is on wheels!! :bounce::bounce: