1977 playcraft p24 pontoon

nathan

ok I spent my 4th running the lines and wires for the 85 evinrude on the pontoon. so tonight I decided to see if I could get it to start. so I added gas put the choke on and after about 10 turn revolutions the motor fired off. not bad for sitting for 6 years. it already starts and runs better then the 50hp force.

nathan

I am planning a water trip this weekend. I had to add extra support to help with the weight of the bigger motor. we planned to add a few motor c channel cross members to add to the deck on the rear. so this is a temporary fix so we can use the boat. but it is holding the motor up better than the little engine was without it.

20130712_195328_zps9a154383.jpg

nathan

it is amazing the difference that 35 hp makes. or is it just the difference a good motor makes. took the pontoon out today for a quick run as we were dodging rain. the boat came off the trailer easier, had a lot more pick up, and best of all it turns a lot better. next weekend we will take it out for an extended run. I am very happy with the performance so far. I put more work into the force motor with less improvement.

nathan

well I am bring this back up to the top because my parents and I were talking this weekend and have came up with a plan. that plan is that instead of starting on the cruiser right now we are going to redo the pontoon. The pontoon needs a lot less work. I will redo the deck, build some seats and just make everything new. I am happy about this as it gives me time to find better stuff for the cruiser or talk my parents into selling it. as always I will take pictures and keep you guys updated.

Sean

"Party on Wayne, party on Garth!!!"
As long as you're busy with a boat the rest is gravy.
enjoy yourself.

nathan

the funny part about what you said is that my dad's name is Wayne. :rof:

I am hoping to talk them out of the chaparral while I am redoing the pontoon. my parents decided that we should make the pontoon new that way it is done when I start on the chaparral that way I will not have to stop that project and fix the pontoon. what ever I am looking forward to working on it more than the chaparral

Sean

Sounds like a plan... And you can still plan the chaparral (or it's replacement) in the mean time. besides, the parents will probably pay for the pontoon resto and you can save your $$$. :)

nathan

so I have started the rebuild on the pontoon. I am taking it apart to see what all it needs and I will start rebuild it have the new year. so here is where I got after the first night. only worked on it for about an hour. side rails off and front fences.

nathan

I went out with the family around mid day and this is what I got done Saturday afternoon. seat, console, wires, steering, controls, and carpet off.

nathan

just depends on my parent pocket book. they are paying for it as it is their boat now I am just doing the work.

Sean

If it were me, I'd build what I think is right and then just "bill 'em"... lol

I'm sure they trust you to make them a cool pontoon ride'n'glide for the whole family.

Sean

Not all cool mods cost a lot of dough.... and you're replacing the old look anyways.

For example, I know it's a lot of labour but, it would be really cool if you got some compound and a decent buffer so you could POLISH those pontoons! Instant class. Of course it might make you scale up what goes on top of them... lol :)

nathan

I worked more on the decking today. all the screws are wasted. they are rusty and filled with glue. so I took out my saws all to cut the screw for the 2X4s at the edges. I then used my skill saw to cut the wood out between the cross members. next time I work on it I will be working the screws out from the bottom.

Sean

Wow...
You're starting from bare pontoons! I didn't thing you would be pullin' her apart that much. You really can use your imagination and build something spectacular.

That's a lot of work you have done....good job for a great start.