New truck tires

Tablerocker

I've never had a set of Cooper tires, I know at one time they were a high-quality tire. I've always been partial to Bridgestone for high-performance tires, Goodyear for truck tires, and Dunlop for heavy-duty applications. I had several sets of Dunlop 10-ply load range E on my old Suburban, Radial Rovers I believe they were called.

Good luck with your purchase and keep us informed!

Sean

If someone has a prefrence for a particular brand of tires...I try not to get in their way. ( Like brands of beer or makes of cars) You can't change their minds. (My Dad was a FORD man...)

After 16 years in the tire manufacturing business. I am quite particular about which tires I use and which manufacturers I will reccomend (I've seen the data).

BTW, Dunlop is a subsiduary of Goodyear.

Last edited:

204 Escape

Well, I've run the tires about 1,000 miles.

Here is my opinion so far.

Upon getting behind the wheel the first time, the truck felt like it had "support" under it. Remember that I had been running COOPER ATR's before, and until this particular set of tires, (the ATR's), NEVER had a reason NOT to like COOPER tires.

I have always kept my vehicles up on any and all repairs, so I did NOT find the tire shops opinion, that my (actually my wifes truck at that time), to be acceptable. WHY would I put my wife's health/life on the line with a known problem, with ANY possibility of injury !?!?!?

The tires ride smooth, quiet, and comfortable. There is ZERO road noise, like I have heard in other ATR, load E tires that I have rode on. (These AT3's are Load E/10 ply tires).

I was on a very muddy, sloppy construction site the other day, and the truck literally walked right through the mud WITHOUT hesitation, with ZERO slippage, NOT need of the 4 X 4. (The mud was about 6' deep, and there was plenty of water mixed in with it for about 1/8-1/4 mile.

Now concerning gas mileage. I have noticed NO DIFFERENCE in the mpg's. (I track my mileage, just for my own information).

AND, they are, (IMO), a good looking tire.
:thumb:
I have to say that the customer service end of COOPER tires treated me better than I had expected. He went above and beyond my expectations. (What I had expected from the tire shop, didn't receive, and to which "I told the tire shop so".

I believe that the customer service guy chewed the tire shop owners butt, because he was sure down, like he had had a chewing. :sssh:

Like I have stated, I run COOPER tires on E V E R Y T H I N G !!! (Even bought a COOPER tire to have for the spare on my/our boat). :thumb:

At this point, I would certainly say buy a set of them.

At this point, I am very happy with them. :bounce:

SHOULD I BECOME UN-HAPPY WITH THEM, I W-I-L-L LET YOU KNOW !!!!

204 Escape

South east Kansas. Humboldt.

Do you go to El Dorado lake ??

What's the water level there now? Last fall it was way down.

Tablerocker

El Dorado is about 5' below average, still quite usable. I haven't been there for years, I moved my boat to Missouri back in '99 and it's not seen anything but the crystal clear water of Table Rock Lake since...lol! Cheney Reservoir just west of Wichita is another lake I used to go to a lot, we had a little Baja club back then where we'd all get together and have a blast...but it is damned near dried up! See pics below. Sad, as I had a lot of fun there over the years. :(

Attachments

• launch ramp.jpg
    launch ramp.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 5
  • lake 4.jpg
    lake 4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 5
  • lake 1.jpg
    lake 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5

204 Escape

WOW !!! THAT is horrible !!!! We bought our first boat off of Mike at Shady Creek. It was a nice 21' Viper with a 225 Merc. It was a F/S.

BUT, I had my eye on a 2006 LARSON F/S deck boat that he had, and I bought it off of Mike.

It takes me about an hour and a half to get there. It's a good way for me to relieve ALOT of stress. :bigthumb:

Tablerocker

WOW !!! THAT is horrible !!!! We bought our first boat off of Mike at Shady Creek. It was a nice 21' Viper with a 225 Merc. It was a F/S.

BUT, I had my eye on a 2006 LARSON F/S deck boat that he had, and I bought it off of Mike.

It takes me about an hour and a half to get there. It's a good way for me to relieve ALOT of stress. :bigthumb:

Yeah, Mike Morgan is the real deal...a good guy and Shady Creek is a top-notch operation. I asked Mike if he was going to carry Baja again, and he was very interested in doing so.

My favorite thing to do at El Dorado was to cruise over to Rock Quarry and hang out, there were usually a few boats rafted up and partying down. Good times, back in the day.

204 Escape

I've seen a few Baja's that were sold recently. he's also now selling COBALT's.

I didn't see many LARSONS though. :(

The boat taht we have now, I bought at a show in Wichita. BUT, I refused to sign the papers on it BECAUSE of the personal property taxes where I live.

THEN, it got to be an infatuation with me to own it. The rest is history !!!! :)

Tablerocker

I've seen a few Baja's that were sold recently. he's also now selling COBALT's.

I didn't see many LARSONS though. :(

The boat taht we have now, I bought at a show in Wichita. BUT, I refused to sign the papers on it BECAUSE of the personal property taxes where I live.

THEN, it got to be an infatuation with me to own it. The rest is history !!!! :)

I hear you, man. The county I live in has the 2nd highest personal property taxes in the state, my boat cost me $800 in 1999 in taxes.
Stupid, and they wonder why everyone suddenly has a house in Oklahoma to register their boats and RVs out of.

I went thru my boat a couple of years ago and replaced every hose and belt in the thing, since they were getting on in years though still low hours. Adam Patterson at Shady Creek was awesome, helping me get some hard-to-find parts. And Mike had found some cool Baja posters from back in the day and he gave those to me.

I believe he started selling Cobalts about the time that Crestview Marine in Wichita started going downhill. Now THAT was a sad story, that was one of the best dealerships in the state for a long, long time...winning many awards for Customer Service and sales. I went to its liquidation sale a few weeks ago and picked up some things, including the cool neon sign seen below.

Attachments

• yama sign 005x.JPG
    yama sign 005x.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 7

Tablerocker

lol...the drills were another auction purchase from Crestview. Brand new Craftsman 19.2 volt, which I had a few of already. So I picked up a circular saw, drill, and a couple of lights. I got three lights and a drill for $5, the saw cost me $10. :)

204 Escape

In one of the votes we had here a while ago, the voters finally woke up and voted to lower the price of property tax on boats and RV's. I can't remember if it is state wide, or county wide. (I thought it was state wide though).

I know that NU-WA campers laid ALOT of peop;e off a few years back. They NOW do trade ins at the plant. That's how bad it is.

204 Escape

WELL, 17,000 miles later, the AT3's are chopping as well !!!!!!!!!

COOPER has insisted that there is SOMETHING WRONG with the steering parts/suspension parts on my truck !!!!!! BUT, the tire shop has 6 sets of 4 that are to be ADJUSTED for improper wear !!!!!!!!!

SO, I took my truck to FORD, for an alignment job. I had had the shocks, (all 4 of them), replaced about 20k miles ago. I've had the truck re-aligned TWICE, and have the paper work from FORD to show that there is NOTHING wrong with the front end of the truck !!!!!!!!

Just to make sure that there was NO problems with the truck, when the last set of AT3's were put on, I had the upper, and lower ball joints replaced.

Last week, I had tie rod ends, A-arms, etc., replaced. I even told COOPER that as far as I was concerned, THEY should have to stand the "preventative maintence", that I did.

THIS is the L A S T set of Coopers that I will replace this way !!!!!!! It will cost me ANOTHER $235 + this go round.

I make my living driving this truck daily to just get to work, etc. It's been a well maintained truck. It's a '02 King Ranch that is immaculate.

I've not lit into the COOPER rep yet, but am supposed to meet with them sometime this week.

SO, we will see !!!!!!!!!

Just throwing this out to you about the tires, in case you might be considering them.

204 Escape

Well, it ended up costing me $282.36. They (Cooper, supposedly), said that I had to pay for the mounting and balancing, + the valve stems). {I will contact COOPER myself over that one}.

BUT, when it was up on the rack, it was found that the right outer tie rod end was NOT even tight. This sloppy work was done at a FORD dealership !!!

I'd had my T-Bird (that I just got), in for service, and the same "tech" did the work on it. THAT little ordeal cost me a new ignition switch !!!

i raised h**l, and got the alignment done, and the money returned, + 1/2 the money back on the switch.

NOT a large victory, but something. I do know that the "tech" got his back side chewed out.

Life goes on !!!!!!!! :cheers: :brickwall: :shakehead:

If that had been me in my line of work, I'd of been fired !!!!!!!

What if that tie rod end had come loose !?!?!? I don't even want to think about it !!!!!!!!!