New truck tires

204 Escape

I am replacing my COOPER 265/70R/17" tires Monday with the N E W COOPER AT-3's. 10 ply.

Anybody running these ??

Comments, responses??

Thanx

nathan

I have ran the cooper discovery AT before and they were one of the best tires I have ran before. I have not seen the new ones but it stands to reason they would be just as good as the others.

Sean

Cooper Tires used to be made in the USA. They were a small company with older technology but, their tires worked pretty well as they were made with quality materials by people that care.
they are now made in China and other countries in the pacific rim by the lowest bidder. I wouldn't expect the same product you used to get from Cooper.

In the "value" end of the spectrum I'd look at Firestone and BFG. Both made by companies that stand behind their products and have something to protect. Second tier manufacturer's products from Toyo and Yokohama could also be a good choice.

Last edited:

nathan

BFG has gone way down hill. a few people that I know that has purchased them has had no luck with them. they are wearing down way quicker than they should.

Sean

BFG is made (and owned) by Michelin.
I would be surprised if this was a common occurance. I would be more surprised that Michelin wouldn't do something about it if they knew. Sometimes the dealer reccomends the wrong tire for the wrong application....this would not surprise me.

BTW, I just spent 16 years in the tire industry on the manufacturer's side of the business.

204 Escape

I ran a 50,000 mile set of ATR's 117k before they gave up. BUT, this set that is on my present truck, (my wifes old truck, that is now my work truck), barely made 50k.

I had notified my dealer, and all I got out of him was e x c u s e s !!!

So, I took it to the next level. I contacted COOPER themselves!!

Within 10 days, and my "proof" that the truck had been properly taken care of, COOPER st epped up, and IMO, took care of the new tires that will be mounted today. (In the words of the GODFATHER, "They made me a offer I couldn't refuse !!)

They will be mounted today.

Where I am NOT happy with the current price of tires, (they are high), they (COOPER), could of turned their back on me !! They did NOT!!

I had been looking at the BFG's All Terrain tires, but COOPER offered me this deal.

Sean

Well 204,

That's great. The main thing is that you are happy with what you buy.
Let us know how the new AT3's work for you.

204 Escape

I will. I've got COOPER tires on EVERYTHING on the property, except the lawnmower.

I've bought " 10 " sets (of 4) COOPER tires for various vehicles in the past 5 years.

I just think that "this set" of tires were problematic to start with. I may be wrong.

We will try these, they are supposed to be "the latest/greatest" they have to offer.

Time will tell !!! :cheers:

Sean

I hope they serve you well...

Highly unlikely you got a bad "set". Production anomolies are extermely rare (less than 1/3 of 1%) and to have 4 "problem" tires on one vehicle is highly unlikely...more than winning the lottery unlikely.
However, without investigating it's hard to say why they wore prematurely. Bottom line is you have a NEW set and can go from there...Happy Motoring!

204 Escape

You are probably right.

The tire shop tried to say that my truck wasn't:

In alignment
Needed ball joints
Needed tie rod ends, etc.

And I can't remember what all (I'm not a mechanic LOL)

BUT, in our defense, the truck was serviced, including ANY/ALL needed parts, when ever they were noted by FORD where the truck was taken. (AND we had the service records to provide in our defense.)

As previously stated, I have COOPER tires on EVERYTHING we own.

Am looking forward to a good "relationship" with these tires !!! :drool:

Sean

The best thing you can do is run correct air pressure (and maintain it). Regular rotations also help for maximum mileage.

We used to say:

S...select the right tire for the job
M...maintain your tires and vehicle
A...align your vehicle on a regular basis
R...rotate tires as necessary to equalize wear
T...track performance of every tire through it's useful life.

I know it is "same ol, same ol" advice...but it really is that simple....and SMART

Last edited:

204 Escape

You sir, are very correct !!

It's a weekly ritual here at oour house to check the air pressure at LEAST once a week on all vehicles. We even check the garden tractor, and the boat that set during the winter un-used.

The tire dealer said to rotate the tires EVERY 5,000 miles. We do.

Maintenance is a prioity at my house, because we drive alot, and you can't go to SEARS and buy another life !!

These tires were on the recommended list for this truck.

Tires just plain cost too much money to ignore !!!! ;)

204 Escape

I got the tires put on today. TOTALLY different truck to drive. QUIET, nice ride.

They've got a whole 12.5 miles on them so far.

(According to a ruler, they have about 3/8" of tread on them !!! )

I'd post pics, if I could figure it out how to do so !!!!! :( :shakehead:

204 Escape

I have ran them about 1,000 miles so far, and I have to say that they ride W E L L !!!

They seem to have "grip, and stability". So far so good !!! :cheers:

P.S. Thanx Chris for posting these pics. We BOTH know my computer skills sometimes suck !!!

Last edited:

Sean

Another happy motorist...

Now load up your boat and trailer,and let's see some boatin' action!!! :)