Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the big day is finally here, almost.

It's the night before we open up the cottage, after closing up and being away since late last November. When we left, it was already snowing and staying on the ground. Closing up is always a crap shoot as we try to go as long as we can and some years we close up a bit too early and some years we screw up and wait too long! :yell:

Last year we timed it pretty good. We closed up and then weather turned and winter arrived early.

The road into our place is a three season private road deal, so if you get snowed in, you're in trouble!

Opening weekend is always a mix of nerves and excitement as one never knows what to expect. One year opening up at my Grandparent's cottage, we arrived to find three big hemlocks had toppled and taken out the corner of the roof and the porch. So we ended up going back to the marina to buy a chain saw so we could cut our way in. Insurance covered the roof repair and a reshingling job as I recall.

I'm hoping this year won't hold any surprises, but one never knows.

I plan to post up pics throughout the year in the gallery and then link them into this thread, it should be a neat little retrospective at the end of the year. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Alright...

Saturday Morning, 8:30 A.M and we're ready to go!

The truck is packed, Yolanda seems pretty proud of the packing job. ::eyecrazy:

And Sheeba knows, IT'S COTTAGE TIME! :thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
We're almost there!

Time to open up the rod-iron gate. :D

Sheeba is supervising.

There's still quite a bit of snow around as well. Although the cottage road is in pretty good shape. :thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
First stop is THE LAKE! :D

Man, the water is HIGH!

Our place looks like Chris E's place. :eyecrazy:

The water is up at least 4 feet. The dock I'm standing on, was pulled up on a beach last fall and was mostly on dry land. Now it's in the same place and floating in 3 feet plus of water. :yikes:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a shot of the same retaining wall when the water level is normal and the second is what it looks like now.

This area is actually a beach, but right now it's hard to tell. :yikes:

When we left today, the water had actually risen one more railway tie on the retaining wall.

From another perspective...

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The ice when we arrived was still pretty solid, with the exception of around the shore. Don't know if I'd be up for a walk on it though. :yell: :D

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
After surveying the beach area, it was time to check out the area where are big dock usually resides, when we have water and not ice. :brickwall:

Sheeba was up for a drink, but I don't think wading or swimming was on the agenda. :p

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another few pics that give some perspective, to just how high the water is.

This is the same ramp last fall when I winched it up.

And now. :eyecrazy:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
After checking to make sure everything was in order and unpacking, we headed to town to do a bit of grocery shopping.

We also headed down to see the damn area, which is downstream from our lake.

The water was almost within a foot or so of the top of the damn. Any higher and it might have just overflowed the banks.

Here are a couple of shots of the water coursing down.

This is the outlet side.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
We also took a trip through our local hamlet.

Here is one of the little marinas which is feeling the effects of the water.

This area is a little park area for tourists. Check out the basketball net. Water B-Ball anyone? :D

Chris E

yup - a little more water than usual, and it's still rising on lake muskoka - yikes - haven't seen it like this since 1985

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
yup - a little more water than usual, and it's still rising on lake muskoka - yikes - haven't seen it like this since 1985
The water rose about one half the height of a 6x6 over the two days we were there.

Pretty crazy! :yikes:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a few shots from Sunday.

One of my spring rituals is replacing the our flag with a new one. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
One boat, comin' up! :D

Gotta mix a little gas first. :)

Got the motah!

Sheeba says, how long is this going to take? :irked: :D

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Not long! We're making progress, and all is good in Sheeba's world again. :)

Almost ready...

Sheeba says....can we get a 4 stroke please? :D

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
We weren't up last weekend. :(

But we are up this weekend! :)

Here's a few pics from today.

The weather is nice and sunny, but it's a little on the cool side. The black flies are starting to come out, so it's good there was a bit of a breeze.

The water level is also down substanially. It's not back to it's normal level, but it's close. :thumb: