RNC

Cool pics Chris it looks like you have a nice place for summer fun. Your waiting for the ice to melt and, I am waiting for the water to warm up a hair more so I can jump in.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
J,

The ice has been out for a bit now. ;)

The water level actually was almost back to normal last weekend. Right now we're just booting around in our little punt with the 25. It's still lots of fun though. To me, if it floats, it's good.

I'll try to post up some more pics next weekend. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It rained most of the day. So we went to Canadian tire and picked up a few things. Then I did a little work on the boards. Later in the day the rain stopped and we had a little BBQ.

Here's a few pics from the end of the day...

Sheeba was happy it stopped raining! Time for a run - catch me if you can. The camera barely could. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Looking out across the lake to the north.

The sun is getting ready to set.

Looking out to the sunset in the west. :thumb:

JW

Super Moderator
Chris, one of these years the wife and I will have to get passports and visit you at the lake cottage!! I'm about 6 1/2 hours from Thornhill. Where's the cottage?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Chris, one of these years the wife and I will have to get passports and visit you at the lake cottage!! I'm about 6 1/2 hours from Thornhill. Where's the cottage?
We're about 2 1/2 to 3 hours north of Toronto. Thornhill is basically right above Toronto on the north side. Thornhill used to be a little town on to itself at one time, but Toronto has continued to sprawl so Thornhill is a little area within the city at this point.

My Grandparents starting cottaging on our lake back in the early 1950's. They bought a piece raw water-access land and camped on it for about 15 years before they built a cottage. So I cottaged with them up until the mid to late 80's when they sold. I bought a back lot in 1989 and starting building a house in the sticks. Then in the late 90's I sold the house and bought some acreage on the lake that was near my Grandparent's old cottage. The property I bought, belonged to cottage friends that I used to hang with. They sold the property off which had a nice older cottage and guest cabin back in the mid 80's. The subsequent owners let the cottage and guest cabin get pretty run down and one of the owners tore the main cottage down back in the mid 90's.

So when we bought the cottage, it was more or less raw land with the guest cabin which was in a more or less condemned state. So we've more or less fixed up the guest cabin and we stay in that. We've got big dreams of rebuilding a main cottage at some point down the road, but we haven't rounded up the funds as of yet.

So we more or less have our little antiquated cabin on a beautiful lot, with a woodstove, no running water and very basic hydro service.

So when I build the monster cottage, you'll get your invitation!

Until then though, I doubt your wife would have much fun. :p

JCRAFT

It's nice to see a personal side of you Chris, Your cottage has a beutifull view and thats all that really matters. A small cottage is still better than a tent.
When I get up to my Dad's cottage on the St.Laurance I'll snap some fresh pics. He has a private island on the Canadian channel almost under the 1000 Island bridge.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It's nice to see a personal side of you Chris, Your cottage has a beutifull view and thats all that really matters. A small cottage is still better than a tent.
When I get up to my Dad's cottage on the St.Laurance I'll snap some fresh pics. He has a private island on the Canadian channel almost under the 1000 Island bridge.
Love to see your pics!

And yeah, you're right. My camping days are behind me, I tell you that. And don't get me wrong, we love our place and we feel blessed to have it. I dreamed of owning the land most of my life. So to get it in the end was a dream come true. We'd just like to have a bit better cottage so we could share our cottaging passion and the cottage experience with our friends a bit more.

Dat's all :)

-Chris

yolanda

Official EB Photographer!
Even more exiting than opening up the cottage...is the first long weekend.

Man, what a horribly cold and damp long weekend! I don't know about anyone else, but I want a refund on that weekend and would like to be able to use my long weekend card on the next weekend that has decent weather.

Was it as bad for everyone else or did you at least get a day or two that was bareable?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few pictures from this weekend.

It was seriously buggy this weekend! Lots of mosquitos so I had a bug cover my head a lot of the weekend especially on Sunday.

The big project for the weekend was putting the docks in.

Here are a few pics...

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Attaching the ramp is always fun. :eyes:

The hip-waders make life a little easier.

I use a winch mounted on a poll to winch up the ramp to the right height. ;)

Sheeba loves standing on the end of the dock and barking at boats, so she's supervising and making sure everything is done to spec. :D

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'm finishing up the day burning up some brush that has falling over the winter.

A nice way to finish off a beautful day. Even if it was a big "buggy". :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Living up in Canada, our long weekend was actually last week versus this past weekend like the U.S.

On our long weekend, it poured rain for two out of the three days and the third day was cold!

Anyhoo, here are a few shots from boat ride we took on Sunday when the weather was really nice. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well we haven't taken pics this weekend as the bugs are INSANE!

Not to mention it's been raining most of the weekend as well.

Man, the bugs are bad. To cut the grass I had to put on my "bug suit". Same deal with cooking dinner on the BBQ, bug suit time. :yell: