Wanted: Mercruiser FORD V8

Sean

Since I decided to keep the Donzi, I'll need some parts.

Specifically looking for a 302 /351 SBF very cheap!
An unit out of service unit or old runner is okay. Basically I will be building a new performance long block and need all the ancillary parts.
Bell housing, starter, alternator, brackets, motor mounts, shift bracket etc.

I see them in Kijiji from $ 350 to $ 1,500... I'm in for a runner around $500 if it's not far from Newmarket. Will look at what you have.

There should be plenty of these old Mercruiser (888, 188, 233, 225, 255...etc) in old unused/discarded/unwanted boats.

nathan

I actually have one that I am not sure if we are going to use. but it would cost a small fortune to get it to Canada.

Sean

Is yours an "Interceptor"?
We'll stick a pin in that... Thanks for the great offer.
I believe these to be plentiful, and was hoping to find one closer.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't most of the Mercruisers GM blocks?

Where I seem to see more Fords used is in the Inboard Ski Boats.

-Chris

nathan

they used both fords and chevys. I am not sure if mine is an interceptor. It came out of a 1979 cobalt and I believe it is an 888. we got it for the chaparral and just have never done anything with it. but who know at this point my dad still wants to redo the chaparral.

chris below is a list of different types of engines that were used by Mercruiser and the model #

mercruiser_models.gif

Sean

Aren't most of the Mercruisers GM blocks?
Where I seem to see more Fords used is in the Inboard Ski Boats.
-Chris

Ford took a big step back from marine applications in the late 70's. Early Donzis used them as did many manufactures to that point. Volvo was a big partner with Ford too. That's why there are so many about.

The SBF is shorter, narrower and lighter than a SBC. It has great power potential as there are plenty of "go fast" parts available. I want to use a new 5.0 HO roller block (1987 + up) with the older Mercruiser bell housing and ancillaries that bolted to the pre-alpha.

Since these lumps are old, they are usually cheap. Here's a way overpriced (but nice) one in Barrie, Ont. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-t...51/1044584337?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Nathan, don't know why the 188 does not show up on your list?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know fellas. :thumb:

Weren't the old white OMC stern drives mostly Ford blocks?

-Chris

Sean

Yes, OMC used ford engines for quite a while. However, the main reason for acquiring an old engine is to get the parts necessary to mate up with my Alpha One (bell housing, shift plates, motor mounts, thermostat housing, starter, alternator & brackets, etc...).

The engine itself, heads, intake, induction will all be scrap. It's actually cheaper to do this than buy all the parts individually.

nathan

Nathan, don't know why the 188 does not show up on your list?

not sure but I have found a few that are label differently on this version of the list. I don't know who made the list but I have used it for years.

I believe that the 188 is usually attached to an 888 outdrive so maybe the 888 on the list is the same as the 188 motor on the list.