Transom repair

condorsun

­­HI I have had this old condor sundance 70's speed boat with a rotten transom for about 15 years and have had a great time fishing and skiing before retiring it for last 7 years. Last summer I decided if the motor will start a Chrysler 105 I will repair that rotten transom and it ran great. I had no idea how to do this repair so I look at all the post on boating forms and found lots of information so here are some pics.
I remove the deck just past the well.Made a huge chisle and away I went.

100_1296.jpg

Made a patter and new transom
100_1298.jpg

Fit and glass back in with lots of clamps.
100_1302.jpg

100_1303.jpg

well it's nearly winter so I will finsh the transom next summer.I want to paint her after if any one has any painting tip it would be great to hear from you.
Cheers Andy from Australia. (Sorry I double up with the pics.)

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing. :)

What motor do you run on it?

You can also glass in some transom knees too, if you want to beef it up.

Looks great so far. :thumb:

-Chris

condorsun

Thanks for sharing. :)

What motor do you run on it?

You can also glass in some transom knees too, if you want to beef it up.

Looks great so far. :thumb:

-Chris
It runs a 1976 105 Chrysler electronic ignition it's a small boat 14 ft. Not sure about the knees they would have to be small to fit under the well when it's back on I don't know much about it what do you recon.This picture shows a bit more of the boat.
100_1294.jpg

condorsun

b.r.o.,

Nice to see you joined up and over here. :thumb:

You should post up some or all of your great Checkie restoration pics. Maybe you could create a thread for them. I'm sure your detailed step by step pics would help a lot of people. :)

-Chris
“Help” I am so glad you have shown your incredibly detailed resto particularly the transom I look forward to the painting process if you do so.­ ­­I still have a month or so before I continue on with mine. My Condor Sundance is a great old ski boat and with its high sides and wrap around screen its not to bad in a small ocean swell.Look forward to your finishing touches. Cheers Andy.

“Help” I am so glad you have shown your incredibly detailed resto particularly the transom I look forward to the painting process if you do so.­ ­­I still have a month or so before I continue on with mine. My Condor Sundance is a great old ski boat and with its high sides and wrap around screen its not to bad in a small ocean swell.Look forward to your finishing touches. Cheers Andy.

Be sure to add more pictures to your thread. I usually learn from what others are doing plus I love seeing progress being made and offering up opinions when needed.

It's still far off but as of now, I plan on painting. Not real sure what I'm going to do other then base coat the entire boat white and come up with some scheme that's both cool and simple. With a low profile boat, I need it to be pretty visible as we have a lot of fast boats running on a narrow river.

condorsun

Hi progress on the transom is slow this summer, it is far to hot for glassing with temps. Consistently at 35c to 40c looking forward to some cooler weekends anyway I found a few older pics taken on a ski day on the River Murray Adelaide South Aust.Great motivation to finish the boat Cheers.
boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat2.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update CS.

That looks like a fun boat. It's sorta got some lines from a Sidewinder and some from the old Glastrons in it.

How does the Chrysler run? :)

-Chris

condorsun

Thanks for the update CS.

That looks like a fun boat. It's sorta got some lines from a Sidewinder and some from the old Glastrons in it.

How does the Chrysler run? :)

-Chris

Hi Chris the motor runs great When I bought the boat it did not run so I stripped it down and found cracks in the bores. Back then I couldn’t find a powerhead with the electronic ignition set up and the rings for them were to expensive any way, I think they are called keystone rings. I picked up a good powerhead with the distributor drive and compared the two powerheads I found with a bit of machining of the casting I could fit the electron ignition to it. I honed the bores put new ring in which were a lot cheaper. Every one said I was nuts and it wouldn’t work but being a fitter and turner it wasn’t that hard.
Cheers Andy.

condorsun

A few years later I have managed to get back to the job. I have glass 5 layers to the inside and hope to finish the boat over the next few weeks. Not sure how many layer I should do if any one can answer that thanks. A few pics.
Image0106.jpg

Image0108.jpg

Image0105.jpg

Image0107.jpg

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey CS, nice to see you back working on it, thanks for posting your pics. :thumb:

Did your boat originally have any transom knees? I know a lot of the guys who redo performance boats often will build in, or build up the transom knees if it has any. That might be something you might want to consider looking at while you've got it apart. :)

-Chris

condorsun

Can some one help me with this.I am going to flow coat the the transom but before i finish the floor should i flow coat below the floor line first.
Chris no there were no transom knees I think I will leave it how it is.
Cheers.

The transom looks great. I plan on painting my bilge area in the near future with an epoxy paint by Interlux called BilgeKote.

Have you started working on getting the top of the boat back on? I had a real pain with mine and ended up having to cut out some of my spashwell that I had to rebuild.

condorsun

The transom looks great. I plan on painting my bilge area in the near future with an epoxy paint by Interlux called BilgeKote.

Have you started working on getting the top of the boat back on? I had a real pain with mine and ended up having to cut out some of my spashwell that I had to rebuild.
Yes i have put the top back on and preparing to paint haven't taken a photo yet. Its not good when you have to rework bits you have all ready done removing the whole splash well was a good option for me. Im not sure what paint to use yet thinking a modern 2 pack auto paint as it has a fine metallic look and it's manly above the water line.

condorsun

Sarted to sand the boat i'm only going to paint the black gelcoat. There are a few chips and blemishes to fill. You can see lots of fine cracks in the surface how far do you sand back and will the under coat fill the fine crack?
Image0296.jpg

Image0295.jpg

Last edited: