TOTAL NOOB! (advice)

Peels

hello all! pretty new to boats, nut not new to machine forums... :thumb:

sold out of my atv hobby (yamaha raptors) so I can get my family into boating.

Had one as youngster...but that was when I had no responsibility... :) Then we rented one on vacation, and we had a blast! so here we are...

We are Going to look at a boat this weekend. Our requirements were: smaller(easy towing), no big engine, 8 passenger bowrider. And as new as possible, preferably under 10k for the first boat....not wanting to get in over my head...

The one that met all those....Im lookin at...It is a 2004 glastron 175 sx. 3.0 mercruiser. VERY nice machine. We are putting it in the water...of course.

Everything works, but the tachometer. Is that a sign to run away? I guess I'm wondering if there is anything brand/engine specific I need to be wary of when looking. besides obvious...overheating/sputtering/difficult starting. and all that jazz. These things are a smidge more complicated than an atv engine.... which I could rebuild in an afternoon... :)

thanks all for any advice!!!! Looking forward to the new hobby.

-Eric

Sean

Hey Eric,
Welcome here! I've only been around here a short time but, It's a good place.
I'm sure some of the guys will chyme in on you questions.

Cheers,
Sean

nathan

Welcome, the tach not working can be as easy as a loose wire or bad ground. so no a non working tach is not a reason to run. Boat motor are just a beefed up car motor. Glastron makes a great boat. If you have worries about the boat after the test run have it looked at by a boat accessor or mechanic. if the seller will not allow you to have it accessed then run.

Peels

thanks folks.

We are new boat owners now :) Pretty excited...

VERY nice family was selling it, took us out for a spin. put it through its paces...and settled on a great price.

he forgot to put in the plug though LOL. I laugh because Ive done this. And, we got back to shore, he had a text from his wife saying "remember to put the plug in" :)

I went to inspect the motor out on the water after flogging it... "umm is there always this much water under the motor?" LOL hauls a$$ back to the ramp

i look forward to surfing this site for info on the mercruiser motors..... see you gents around.

Sean

That's actually pretty funny!
Glad everyone is okay....Congrats on the new boat too.

Peels

thanks guys, bought it just in time to put it away LOL

wife and played hookie from work last tuesday and took it up and down the mississippi. Had a wonderful time.... Semi worried that 3.0 wouldnt cut it, but it does just fine. hits just under 40 mph with 6 people in it...

I installed an iphone compatible stereo in it... I anticipate alot of use next summer, Or at least HOPE!

gotta get it winterized now...going to be 29 this weekend. keeping the garage heated for now...

quote from local shop is 160 for EVERYTHING all oils, gas treatment yada yada yada. that sounds very reasonable to me... yes/no? I feel like having it professionally done first time around would be extra insurance for this noob, especially that i am so new to it....

john lamon

Yes that sounds like a good price and well worth the money to know that its done right and won't freeze anything, it costs around $350 to do our 6.2 V8 at a shop.

Last edited:

Peels

well I pushed back the winterization to next week... supposed to be nice. I want one more ride dangit! :)

I kept a thermostat controlled mini heater in the engine bay.... worked nicely.... Engine area is HUGE on this boat, since it has the back bench seat.... thermo set at 60. it would run for about a minute, then shut off for 5... Only got down to 27, so probably being paranoid...but I take care of my stuff...know what I mean?

Peels

WOOHOO!

headed out for our first long haul down to lake of the ozarks.

"luckily"(if you can call this lucky), Ive had both tires explode(detread) in the last month, so it's got new shoes. MUCH prefer that happening less than an hour from home, as opposed to 4.

and.... I have two spares.

wish us luck, and keep fingers crossed for no more mechanical drama ! LOL

been looking forward to this vacation for a year now!

any advice, Im all ears :)

Peels

thanks wakeup....

the trip was AMAZING. and there were not really any mechanical gremlins!

evening boat trip to lakefront restaurant for the Mrs' bday...then return to condo at twilight.

It was totally blissful.

Peels

revisiting my introduction thread :)
Oh man.

this hobby, I had NO idea my family would take to it as much as we have. We started, my son was afraid of boats. Now, he jumps off and swims to shore to check out the scenery...climb rocks etc. My older boy got up on the kneeboard yesterday ON HIS FIRST TRY! i was so proud. His dad on the other hand. faceplant into the drink LOL

Its just amazing. Definitely will be bigger boat somehwere down the line, but no hurry.

Took yesterday off work, it was 90 out. it POURED rain on us for 10 minutes while the kids were exploring a waterfall, and finding fossils. I expected them to freak out. they had the time of their lives. wifes bday today, so we celebrated yesterday.

I can think of worse places to be on a tuesday. Cheers and happy boating gentlemen.

:)

IMG_0782.JPG

Peels

Cool! :)

-Chris

VERY cool.

summer had a delay this year...odd cool weather, flooding. but we're in full swing now. one month left until school for the kids...

My wifes been REALLY busy at work, shes up for a very large promotion...
so it was nice to finally just get out there, no time limit, no stress...(no passengers lol)

ahhhhhh :thumb:

Though, word of warning...i havent tried kneeboarding since I was 9. its is a very different thing when you're pushing 40 and 200lbs. LOL

also, make sure you take a few extra minutes to explain to your wife the art of mounting a Kneeboard while being towed. trolling along, I'm almost up. she GUNS IT. so fun and scary at the same time. flopping along on my face at 30 mph for a few seconds. actually have a scrape from the water on my arm.

I'd do it again all day long though.

what a great day....

hoping for some more! :cheers:

IMG_0774.JPG