85.7 KB · Views: 13
  • dads phone 165.jpg
    dads phone 165.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 13

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Neat stuff!

How long do you think it will take to get all finished up?

Where do you plan to pick up your glass and resins?

I'm not even sure up here where I would go to get the materials. :)

-Chris

its done. have to let it cure.then cut it out and reassemble.ill take pics tomarow of it and finished pics. get the mat ,glass and resin from local parts store wood from menards.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Much better! :thumb:

I don't know where the heck the guys around Toronto get their supplies.

It's not like we have any chain stores selling marine supplies. There are a couple of West Marines here and there, but whenever I've gone there they seem as expensive as hell. That might be one spot though.

-Chris

Hey guy , not to be rude but ........did you even bother to use Marine Ply considering there are so many voids in the wood which is not of the norm for Marine Ply, and just curious what type of lay up are you doing on that transom , glass , wood , glass , wood , glass ........................or , and is that your final lay up of the transom in post seven ?

Last edited:
Coop , once again........... just curious , and seeing that you most likely used Poly , or Vinyl in your lay up considering post # 7 show's nothing but matt ..i was just wondering if you used any 1708 at all in your layup ?

Last edited:

nathan

I think you will find that most of the restorations on this and other boards are being done on a budget. marine ply is very expensive and would price me and others out of restoring boats. most of us are wanting to get the boats back on the water and if it means a few extra layers of resin or glass that is what we do. it may not last as long as marine ply but it get the boat on the water and money can be saved for other pieces. I can say that when I start on my glastron it will be done on a budget that will not get me close to marine ply.

Merry christmas
I think you will find that most of the restorations on this and other boards are being done on a budget. marine ply is very expensive and would price me and others out of restoring boats. most of us are wanting to get the boats back on the water and if it means a few extra layers of resin or glass that is what we do. it may not last as long as marine ply but it get the boat on the water and money can be saved for other pieces. I can say that when I start on my glastron it will be done on a budget that will not get me close to marine ply.
Nathan , i beg the differ with you, but then again ............i really could care less considering it is not my boat or project.

Last edited:
Hey guy , not to be rude but ........did you even bother to use Marine Ply considering there are so many voids in the wood which is not of the norm for Marine Ply, and just curious what type of lay up are you doing on that transom , glass , wood , glass , wood , glass ........................or , and is that your final lay up of the transom in post seven ?
yes glass wood glass and no that wasnt the final just the last pic itook before the batt in the camera died.and the pic really doesnt show it but the wood is green epoxy coated bought from local marine supply store.its what d&s sells me as marine but as i dont know what it should consist of and or have it tested its what i have to use instead of strait plywood and it better be good at 60.00 a sheet.and for glass there is acually 3 types used in it.maybe overkill but im not formally trained and i want the best possible result i can get.

Coop , once again........... just curious , and seeing that you most likely used Poly , or Vinyl in your lay up considering post # 7 show's nothing but matt ..i was just wondering if you used any 1708 at all in your layup ?
yes ill make sure to take more pics and bring extra batts nexttime

oh and the patern wood i used to fit and size the transom was from menards.cut it into shape and fitted it then used it as a pattern for the expensive stuff.cant afford to screw up the exp wood.the cust cant afford it.most of these boats would be scrapped if i didnt help them out.

oh and the patern wood i used to fit and size the transom was from menards.cut it into shape and fitted it then used it as a pattern for the expensive stuff.cant afford to screw up the exp wood.the cust cant afford it.most of these boats would be scrapped if i didnt help them out.
B/S why would you waste ply to make a pattern to use Marine grade Ply ?

yes glass wood glass and no that wasnt the final just the last pic itook before the batt in the camera died.and the pic really doesnt show it but the wood is green epoxy coated bought from local marine supply store.its what d&s sells me as marine but as i dont know what it should consist of and or have it tested its what i have to use instead of strait plywood and it better be good at 60.00 a sheet.and for glass there is acually 3 types used in it.maybe overkill but im not formally trained and i want the best possible result i can get.
Green wood and epoxy coated hmmmmmmm . hey guy , just curious what are the three types of glass used in this repair.......dugh ...... and what type... of ester are you using.....Poly or vinyl ?

Last edited: