special winterize

Peels

ugh..yeah I want to slap myself in the face...but alas, we are here. I have SERIOUSLY enjoyed our first summer as a "boating family" but it is busy time at my work, and my wife works in human resources for retail, so her work will be nuts shortly... the next 4 weekends are shot for boating due to schedule... so...

IT IS TIME. :( :( :( :(

anyways, to my question. You may have seen the photo of my smashed cavitation plate... I want to try my hand at fixing it, which means Ill have the Lower unit off for an extended period, while i work it smooth... so I am SURE winter will get here before I can get it back on

I am also going to do an impeller while im at it... anywhooo

Not totally sure how this system works... (i will soon) should I go ahead and fully winterize to get the antifreeze in there? Or will it come flying out as I remove the LU? lol that's the part im not sure about. If it drains, will that leave the block susceptible to damage? I'm really not sure how long it will be apart....just being careful here.

Am I asking a dumb question?

you can be honest...thanks! :thumb:

keith4216

I don't recall if you have i/o or o/b? An i/o you will still winterize. The antifreeze has nothing to do with the lower.

Peels

sorry! 3 liter merc. I/O

Using the intake port to suck up the antifreeze for winterizing... my concern was if I pull off the lower unit AFTER that, i would lose some antifreeze thus lose some protection.

keith4216

I assume you mean you run the antifreeze thru muffs up the drive. If you think about it. When you take the muffs off what stops the antifreeze from running out. It just doesn't. It sits in the block, exhaust and hoses where its unable to drain. If it was able to drain, then so would any water. Hope that makes sense to you.

Peels

yep makes sense, but was thinking the impeller is what holds the water back....

I suppose as long as its in the block so no cracking, were ok...

hell maybe I should just put a heater in it... that scares me though, a WARM engine compartment is a nice mouse motel lol

nathan

impellers do not hold water just push it. if you put a heater in the engine compartment put some moth balls in there to keep the mice away.

Sean

Make sure you drain your block and manifold(s) before running the anti-freeze.
My 4.3 V6 will hold about 2.5 litres of mercury anti freeze in the block this winter. I store in a heated underground garage.

Peels

she's all winterized...

i did not pull off the lower unit yet, though. Checked...the oil in there is still brand new. I will do all that when I pull it off to do the impeller and fix the cavitation plate.

drained/cleaned the inside of the hull, and treated all the vinyl too. it is ready.

now the countdown to spring begins. cant stand it. Never enjoyed a hobby as much as this, where I am angry that I cannot go do it! LOL

Sean

Peels, don't be angry.... this is the time of year when you get to look for all the cool things for your boat or that will enhance you boating experience. Maybe upgrade your boat. If you already have all of those....look for spares or a project boat. Maybe you need to start a boating file of suppliers, contact numbers, or collecting boat-type artwork. maybe rework the garage in a more nautical theme that is set up for your boat.

I'd say start working on your significant other for a bigger/better/newer boat but that is actually a 12 month activity :)

The point is... it's just winter so, that does not mean boating is over! Sort of like bench racing when I used to race cars.... Live the dream, baby....Live the dream!

Peels

Peels, don't be angry.... this is the time of year when you get to look for all the cool things for your boat or that will enhance you boating experience. Maybe upgrade your boat. If you already have all of those....look for spares or a project boat. Maybe you need to start a boating file of suppliers, contact numbers, or collecting boat-type artwork. maybe rework the garage in a more nautical theme that is set up for your boat.

I'd say start working on your significant other for a bigger/better/newer boat but that is actually a 12 month activity :)

The point is... it's just winter so, that does not mean boating is over! Sort of like bench racing when I used to race cars.... Live the dream, baby....Live the dream!

HAHA thanks Sean...im not too angry....its humor to pass the time :)
Wife is actually the one driving the "get bigger boat" bus. LOL she is adamant about yamaha jet boats. I am big yamaha guy already having worked on those engines for years. Also we boat in some questionable spots, that apparently eat outdrives... LOL I told her we need to use ours another season....see how we feel.

not gonna do too much to ours, except weld up that fin on the outdrive, and carb rebuild. Iv'e already polished it to near new... id like to put a cool stereo in it...but not really priority.

maybe some lighting... i have a soft spot for led's.

there is a crack in the gel right on the keel. ill probably seal that up when it starts to get warmer in the spring. Throw on a keel guard. My family has enjoyed coving and beaching. but that will wear it out.

I find that latter part of the winter is tougher than the fall...it was a long winter towards the end...just watching the thermometer..."come on! just 5-10 more degrees and we're grabbing the lifejackets!!!!" LOL

yeah Nathan, my only previous experience to this I/O was the pontoon with outboard we used to have. hearty little thing... I wanna say mercury 75. 2 stroke... the maintenance was a breeze. this is a little more involving...but totally worth it.

ill just keep staring at this view all winter! the view from our condo at the ozarks!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAACfI/JWYArWhKcD4/w1078-h345-no/IMG_0112.JPG

Sean

Wow, if "the Boss" is on side with a bigger boat already then shoot for ....another boat. :) You can't have too many boats....well you can but, who's really looking...

Peels

Wow, if "the Boss" is on side with a bigger boat already then shoot for ....another boat. :) You can't have too many boats....well you can but, who's really looking...

yep.

just have to search carefully. We will be looking at a storage issue if we go too big. Insulated (unheated) garage is just shy of 24' long.

Plan now is to use our little Bowrider through next year...if we still feel the same, next fall will be bigger boat time! AND, if that boat exceeds my garage length, it will have to be perfect....perfect enough to be worth adding a shed.

:cheers: