SOS Radio

David L

I live in Louisiana and my next door neighbor (also a boat owner) says that I need a radio capable of contacting the Coast Guard (should the need arise) in my 20' Reno sfiff. I am not able to find this requirement in any rules and regulations that I've read. Does anybody know anything about this? I want to be legal while on the water (and safe too).

Thanks,

David L

David L

Thanks Nathan and Keith, but I'm Really wanting to know if it is required by Louisiana law for my 20' boat to be equipted with a radio capable of contacting the Coast Guard.

Thanks,
David L

David L

I have also looked through all of the regulation websites and have found nothing stating that it is a requirement. I threw the topic out here for some extra ears and eyes because more than one person has told me that a radio is required, also to be noted that the people that make this claim are not in any kind of authoritative position. It figures, everybody is a friggin' expert on everything it seems like sometimes. I must have skipped school the day they gave out the expert badges!

Thanks guys,
David L

nathan

ok I found the answer on the coast card website in the federal regulations brochure on page 54.

http://www.uscgboating.org/fedreqs/default.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 9

David L

Hey thanks Nathan for digging that up for me. So it says that while not required, it is strongly recommended. This sounds like typical bureaucratic double talk. Seems to me that if it is strongly recommended then it should be required, but hey, that's just me...

David L