Put the wraps on 2013 season...

Sean

It's a hard thing to winterize your boat when the weather is this nice.

Friday on Lake Muskoka was 21*C and sunny. The lake was almost void of boaters and was like glass all day even in the open and middle of the lake. I can't say I've ever had better conditions.

Saturday was 20*C and almost as sunny but with a wind that made a light chop. As it was Canadian Thanksgiving weekend many were up to their cottages for a last gasp. Light traffic notwithstanding , still a beautiful day to be boating!

So due to the inevitable lineup at the marine shop for winterizing and also owing to the logistics of storing my boat in a warm cozy place for the winter....I started the winterizing operations with a thorough cleaning. Then I removed the rear seat (for better accesss to the engine) and drained the block, manifolds, power steering cooler and waterpump. Lastly, I vacuumed out the bilge and cleaned every surface I could see.

Tomorrow, it's down to the shop to change the oil and all filters as well as filler with anti-freeze. As an extra I'm removing the upper portion of my SEI 106 sterndrive for warranty replacement due to paint "spider" cracks.

When the upper unit returns (est 1 week), we'll bolt'er back together and tuck her away in storage. So it'll be a couple weeks worth of work and logistics. During this time it'll be hard to see others still boating if the weather holds up like it has been but, I'm not going to risk it.

Last edited:

Sean

If I could find a Job down there with y'all, I'd be first in line for my Green Card! :)

Although, I have spent come time in the US and many of your southern rivers/lakes are of the "brown" variety (caused by vegitation). The spring fed rock bottom lakes up here that freeze are crystal clear. I'd love to try Minnesota or Wisconsin but, they are farther north than I am!

john lamon

you need to move south. that way the boating season is longer!!

Sean's season is way longer than mine, lol

It was a brisk -4 at our lake Sunday night, we had no water Monday morning because the line to the cabin froze, put my boats away a few weeks ago already and just blew out the cabin lines yesterday, I wanted to go for a ride so bad yesterday, almost talked myself into it but then had no key to unlock the boat trailer, still had a great time though, had two turkey dinners in the city Friday and Saturday that were awesome but that hot dog around the fire at the cottage was better :cheers:

Lake was like this all day

Sean

Engine fogged, anti freeze in, oil & filters changed, drive off and split.
just packin' up the upper drive for the trip to Florida.

While winterizing we also checked the tachometer for accuracy as this is what we have been using to judge prop performance. Results say my tach no more than 100 rpm lower at maximum when compared to the shop dyno tach...so not statistically an issue. Check one more thing off the list.

Last edited:

Peels

did mine yesterday :( Was the nicest/warmest day in about a month..

I feel your pain. But...our brown water isnt as bad as you'd think... lol come on down.