move towards outboards? Your thoughts...

Tablerocker

The last few boat shows I've gone to have had an ever-growing number of manufacturers going to or at least including an outboard option where traditionally there was only an I/O option. Personally, I've never been a big fan of outboards due mainly to all the problems I've seen over the years with hard starting, etc. But those were engines from the '60s - '80s, I realize that modern fuel injected outboards are extremely reliable and trouble-free. Heck, there are even joystick options for some outbaord engines these days.

nathan

I perfer outboards. to me they are easier to work on. instead of having to hang in wierd postions you get to stand on the ground. the manufacturers are going to outboards due to cost. the i/o motor are getting extremely expensive compaired to the outboard. the motors are just as reliable as the i/o today and the fact that they all come with around a 5 year full warranty helps too. you can usually purchase two outboards for the price of one i/o and if the boat is built right you will not see a difference in performace.

Tablerocker

I perfer outboards. to me they are easier to work on. instead of having to hang in wierd postions you get to stand on the ground. the manufacturers are going to outboards due to cost. the i/o motor are getting extremely expensive compaired to the outboard. the motors are just as reliable as the i/o today and the fact that they all come with around a 5 year full warranty helps too. you can usually purchase two outboards for the price of one i/o and if the boat is built right you will not see a difference in performace.

I remember back several years ago when I was looking at a 25' Baja that had a 502 Mag in it, I asked what it would take to put an HP500 Bulldog in it and the quote was around an additional $45K. I could BUILD that engine for a 1/3 of that...lol!

nathan

I spent most of the day working on my outboard and fell great. no back pain or cut up arms or shoulders.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer outboards as we're cottagers. :thumb:

For me, the maintenance is much simpler on an outboard and also you're less likely to run into freeze issues at the beginning and the end of the season when the weather is a little iffy with an outboard.

The I/O guys on our lake typically have to launch their boats later iand take them out earlier in the season as they don't want to run the risk of a frozen block. Also, the winterizing procedure for many I/O's is more complex and important for the same reasons.

On our lake, many of the I/O owners will actually run a smaller outboard powered boat early and late in the season when they don't feel confident in the weather.

As far as reliabilty goes, we've never had any real issues unless something is really old or not well maintained. And the newer motors are very reliable as they have engine management systems etc.

That's just my .02 cents. :)

-Chris

john lamon

I prefer outboards as we're cottagers. :thumb:

For me, the maintenance is much simpler on an outboard and also you're less likely to run into freeze issues at the beginning and the end of the season when the weather is a little iffy with an outboard.

The I/O guys on our lake typically have to launch their boats later iand take them out earlier in the season as they don't want to run the risk of a frozen block. Also, the winterizing procedure for many I/O's is more complex and important for the same reasons.

On our lake, many of the I/O owners will actually run a smaller outboard powered boat early and late in the season when they don't feel confident in the weather.

As far as reliabilty goes, we've never had any real issues unless something is really old or not well maintained. And the newer motors are very reliable as they have engine management systems etc.

That's just my .02 cents. :)

-Chris

Yup, what Chris said pretty much sums it up, I'm an outboard guy and my Dad is a I/O guy, but I get to do the maintenance on both our boats, his is a major PITA compared to mine and the season is shorter for him.

Tablerocker

Throw in the fact that the I/O engines now require catalytic converters and it starts making even more sense for the outboard. I was looking at a couple of 20' Stingrays, one I/O powered and one outboard powered, same type of seating arrangment (single seats port and starboard, bench seat behind these) and there had to be at least 6" more room for the rear bench seat passengers' feet.

I've always been a V8 guy, and I like big blocks best but...it is neat to see the outboard options coming back.
I'll likely never buy another new boat, anything I really like cost more than a nice house, and that is just money I don't want to spend for a pure luxury item that I spend only a few days on a year.
Unless of course I win the Lottery. Then LOOK OUT! :bounce:

nathan

There is a checkmate & Liberator dealer out of Florida named Randy Corson (aka Wildman) rigs the fast checkmate around with outboards. he just set a new record in a pulsare 21 at 98.08 MPH. he does great custom paint jobs too. but this is what you can do with a properly rigged boat.

here is his thread about the pulsare 21 on the checkmate forum.

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26323

here is his website he has a lot of nice boats there

http://liberatorfl.tripod.com/