LARSON BOAT WARRANTY DOESN'T WORK

giopapy

Hello,
first of all I Introduce myself, my name's Giovanni and I live in Italy in a beautiful town facing the adriatic sea, called Marina Palmense.
I decided to write my story because maybe someone can advise me how to solve my problem.
Maybe there's a lawyer that knows how warranty works in USA.
In july 2008 I purchased a new Larson LXI 228.
After only 100 hours of use, divided in four different summer, in the last september 2010 I noticed a serious osmose problem afflicted my boat, I have to say that I keep the boat in the garage for the other 9 month, it goes in the water only in the summer. So I contacted the very kind italian seller who sold me the boat, since he's far away from me (200 miles) he told me to contact a technicians in my city that prove the osmose. And so I did, the technician come with an electronic machine and detected an high percentage of osmose on the hull, after that he broke some of the bubbles and a thick and smelly liquid came out.
I took a lot of pictures and I sent all to the dealer. He contacted Larson company and told them about my problem because my boat has a warranty and he made a quote to fix the boat.
After four month and several emails I got a response from Larson, they say they can only help with 2500 USD nothing more I must take care for the rest, the problem is that to fix the boat in Italy it takes more than the double of that as the quote of their seller prove.
I replied them that I don't want any money but I would like to have my boat in perfect order, as everybody expect after a spending a large amount of money.
Now the italian dealer says that he can't do nothing and Larson doesn't want to fix my boat,
they wrote me to "accept the 2500 USD or they withdraw the offer.
In Italy Larson boats are very expensive but, at that time, I decided to buy one just to have an high quality boat without problem (I believed), to have a "LIFETIME WARRANTY", to have "A BETTER BUILT BOAT" as they say in their slogans but all I got is an unusable boat ruined by osmose.
Maybe I was unlucky but if warranty exist it must be for a reason.
Now I feel so stupid to have bought a Larson, I feel like I throw my money away.
I worked hard to save money to buy the boat and now I cannot believe that "AN AMERICAN CLASSIC COMPANY" can treat customers regardless of their problem.
I understand that things can happen but everyone must accept his own responsibility and if there's a problem it must be solved in a friendly way.
I will be grateful to anyone who can help me finding a solution.
I apologize for my poor english but I hope you could understand.
P.S. I'm sorry if I wrote in the wrong section, but I was a little confused in a new forum.

nathan

It looks like you are not the only person having issues

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/498336-bankruptcy-court-approves-genmar-warranty-request

http://powerboat.about.com/b/2010/01/14/genmar-holdings-triumph-boats-bankruptcy.htm

here is a good read on this subject http://my.boatus.com/consumer/CloserLook.asp

the sad part of the boat industry is that on company owns serveral boat lines like genmar did. but when they file for bankruptcy and they sell lines off to others the new owners are not legally liable to the past warranties. alot of warranties out actually only cover from big defects to the fiberglass. the worst part of the boat building today is that most boat companies have been purchased by bigger companies so the builders that made the solgan mean something is long gone. there are factories that build up to five different makes of boats at one time and they all have their slogans but are all built the same. good luck with it, i hope you get to a good resolution.

giopapy

Sorry I made a mistake:

"After only 100 hours of use, divided in four different summer, in the last september 2010 I noticed a serious osmose problem afflicted my boat"

I mean SEPTEMBER 2011

Hi Nathan
thanks for your post I found a lot of people there in the same positions as I am.
So I guess the only way to end my story is to accept the 2500usd they offered me.

Last edited:

204 Escape

I had a seating issue with our new 204 ESCAPE. LARSON, actually took care of 100% of the seating issues. It was actually a pleasant experience. I am sorry to hear of your problems !!! :(