I hope to find useful info here on my latest restoration project

Hi all,
I am a boat restoration fanatic! I have restored 3 sailboats and am venturing into my first motor boat project. I got a gutted '76 Reinell C-2081 and desperately need info on this model. At the moment I have no clue how any part of this boat is laid out. From the cabin layout to the layout of controls, as it stands, I'm at a loss. Can anyone help?

nathan

welcome I do not have anything to offer but I will see what I can find!! post pictures of what you have now!

Sean

Hello Pirate, Welcome to the forum.

Reinell boats are still made. You may have an older model but, usually companies are helpful with this kind of request if they can be. I would start by contacting them.

Kal Kustom Enterprises
4394 Enterprise Place
Fremont, CA 94538
Phone : 510-651-8400

What you may find is that as your boat is a 1976 model the plans ect...were apparently lost as the company was sold and assets auctioned around 1980. So, following this line of research the ACBS (Antique and Classic Boat Society) probably has people researching and archiving anything they can find on the earlier incarnation of Reinell boats. I'd look to your local ACBS chapter or one in the PNW where Reinell started.

as a 2nd action; Maybe you could find a local-ish Reinell dealer that has been around a while. They might have an example of the C-2081 you could look at (and take pictires).

And the 3rd thing I would do a search for another C-2081 (or similar model) for sale and again take your camera to document.

As a last resort, and if you're not concerned about originality I would find a similar boat of ANY manufacturer and emulate systems that can be currently installed and serviced. You'll have the look and name of reinell but, a servicable boat that is reliable too.

Last edited:

Sean

what a classic look...great boat.
Sure looks like you have a little work to do.
Which reminds me of a slogan Cunard Steamships used to use....
"Getting there is half the fun"
You are going to have a lot of fun.

john lamon

Looks like a fun project :thumb: makes it hard to know how it was when you get them gutted like that hey.

rinker2.jpg

rinker.jpg

rinker3.jpg

nathan

the good part is that if you cannot find any info on what they were like originally then you can redo it to your liking!!

John: Yes it does. But I will figure it out :)
Nathan: I agree and I will. My only worry is that all my past projects have been sailboats (a whole 'nother bird) and I spent years studying up on them to get a good understanding of them. When it comes to power boats I am currently ignorant to their systems, though I'mpretty good at figuring things out. I'm no mechanic, but any time I have had to repair cars in the past I have found that with two major ingredients (stubborn determination and a lot of cursing) I can make my way through most anything. I am more worried that, as I don't know power boats well, I will find a critical flaw in my design after the fact. I have spent a lot of time (too much according to my wife) researching similar models and will likely design mine in the same fashion.

nathan

You will find that the hull is not much different than a sail boat. the motors are just like a car engine. so good luck on your project and I will look for any info I can.

Sean

Well,
Fiberglass is FIBERGLASS however, with a power boat you will need to ensure the hull is especially sound around the stringers and transom. Some of that old stuff gets pretty "punky". tap around and listed for a hollow or dull sound.

Check your fuel tank (aluminum plastic or steel) for corrosion. Then make sure it is seated correctly upon reinstall. There's plenty more things to do but if you can establish a solid base you just move from there one system at a time.