huge freighter,huge wake

onegalonly

:eek: returning from a short strip last saturday in the delaware river, i saw a large freighter that was under way coming towards me and he was pushing some serious water.. when i got close to his wake, i nearly crapped my shorts. this wall of water was at least 8 feet tall and breaking like an ocean wave at the beach.. i didn't know what to do.. the only thing i could think of is 45* degrees (from the classroom).. i can swear i was completely sideways and looking down at the water thinking i was going to capsize.. fortunately, i made it but really don't know how..

can i get some input on what is the correct way to enter these large walls of water (90*, 45*, 60*) any feedback should be helpfull in getting my courage back up for the next time i encounter one.. ya see, i'm only 6 weeks into boating and really need some good advice on this matter :eek:

keith4216

Depends on the size of boat. You can hit it dead on while singing the Dukes of hazzard song or you can turn and run like hell.:thumb:

nathan

I have always been told to slow down and take the wake at a slight angle. you can also go over the wave in a zig zag pattern. also get a far from were the wave was produced.

Sean

If you are going to boat where the freighters are... wear your "Depends".

My vote would be to stay clear of them. Alter your course early (it's not like you can't see 'em coming). Keep maximum distance possible If you have to turn and run nobody's gunna scold you for it. Ultimately, when caught slow down and take at a slight angle.

Now you have experience it shouldn't be as bad if you're caught again.

Last edited:

Peels

Depends on the size of boat. You can hit it dead on while singing the Dukes of hazzard song or you can turn and run like hell.:thumb:

thumbs up... this is what popped into my head...just warn people if they happen to be sitting in the bow, that theyre about to get swamped. LOL

I hit a 5 foot wake from a cruiser on our little 17 footer, and the bow went close to being under...my two boys sitting up there got SOAKED. I expected them to be freaked...they turned around with HUGE smiles, and said "that was awesome!!!" :)

but for real. I have learned to stear clear...wait for the waves to subside a bit. if you HAVE to go through, slight angle is the way to go. head on if you have a bigger boat.