Checkmate closed its doors?

Tablerocker

I've seen some traffic on other boating forums that seem to indicate that Checkmate is closing shop. Employees have been told to remove all personal items, due diligence auditors in for final inventory, etc.

?

john lamon

Yes that's true, we are expecting some news coming up soon about the future of Checkmate, sounds like someone is taking the reins in the near future.

nathan

doug has been very ill from what I have heard. they are trying everything to stay afloat (no pun intended). they have set up another location for parts and interior. so they are not gone yet.

Sean

Too big a name in the industry. Even if the company does not actually survive, someone will buy the pieces and ressurect it.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
There are lots of rumours floating around that range from one extreme to the other. I think at this point things are in transition and at this point it's probably a process of sorts. Hopefully in the end, things will turn out fine for everyone.

Baja has been through this a few times and they're still around as a brand.

Somehow, I can't see the Checkmate brand just going away as it has real value. I just hope that if the company/name/brand is taken over by someone that the new owners maintain the quality and the design that we've come accustomed to over the past 50 or so years.

-Chris

nathan

It looks like Hustler may have purchased checkmate. It has not been confirmed by either boat manufacturer but if you call checkmates number the recording says welcome to hustler.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what is happening (if anything) until there is some kind of official news.

-Chris

Sean

I figured someboby would snap 'em up....
Might as well be Hustler. Let's just hope they continue making great Checkmates and not just use the name.

Tablerocker

Hustler is a fine builder but...I don't see where the advantage is in them buying Checkmate, unless it is to give them a more "entry-level" series.
:confused:

nathan

I believe that is part of it. they do not have a line of smaller boats. plus they come with a huge following. I am sure when the actual press release comes out they will say why they are doing it.

Sean

Market share.... plain and simple.
They just purchased all the loyal Checkmate owners, the goodwill and marketing value. Not to mention the design and technical stuff.
Now, (the hard part) they consolidate and make the whole operation efficient without killing either brand.

Tablerocker

Market share.... plain and simple.
They just purchased all the loyal Checkmate owners, the goodwill and marketing value. Not to mention the design and technical stuff.
Now, (the hard part) they consolidate and make the whole operation efficient without killing either brand.

Yes, they have a big challenge on their hands. I remember when Baja was bought out by Fountain, and all the anticipation and positive feelings (it was FOUNTAIN, after all!) that came with this, and then when the boats started coming off the line they were generally despised by both purist Baja owners as well as Fountain owners, earning the moniker of 'Faja'. Of course the rest is history with Fountain then going tits-up, and now here we (loyal Baja owners) are again, wondering what is going to happen to our once beloved brand.... :(

Sean

Well, Baja bought a mis-managed and downward spiriling DONZI so they could get even better! Looks like that is working out.

nathan

Another interesting fact is that Doug (the owner of Baja) was the one that purchased checkmate and was never excepted by certain checkmate owners. and now due to the economy and his health he is looking for some help to keep his doors open. as a huge fan of checkmates I hope it goes thru and checkmate and hustler are around for at least another 50 years.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I think Checkmate builds some smaller hulls that Hustler currently doesn't.

So I would think it rounds out their product offering.

But I think until a deal is done, it's best to wait and see what this all means.

-Chris