Boating season has begun

Sean

Well, at least we are out of the deep freeze. And that means it's time to get working on my woody boat.

Since restoration, I have noticed water in the bilge. This bothers me. The first season it was because we had an overheating problem and the tech ran the exhaust with the exhaust plug out to see if water was circulating. The next year we thought the water was coming from the stern drive seal. But, it also rained a lot and who could tell?

So, last weekend we yanked the motor out and took her to a steep ramp at Newcastle (on Lake Ontario) to dip in the stern still tied to the trailer so we could check for leaks and actually see. What we found was small leaks all along the seam at the chine, below the waterline. This continued to the bottom of the transom all along the bottom of the boat.

I was floored! I thought I'd have to re & re the transom (which is not inexpensive on a wood boat). However, my friend who is an excellent wood boat guy came up with a plan. We are going to router out every seam and reseal with sika-flex (or 5200). not the perfect solution but fingers crossed it'll be dry.

Updates to come. Stay tuned.

Peels

YES, IT IS!

Sunday morning the covers came off, carburetor got a nice cleaning...plugs came out..

fired right up. Its a beautiful thing.

Hope all of you fine folks have a safe and wonderful season!

Sean

Well, it's been a busy few weeks. The seams around the Greavette's transom have been re-sealed with 3M 5200 (previously sealed with sikaflex), I did the same resealing along the keel for good measure.

Last Saturday, the motor went back in , was summarized and run-in on the muffs. From the exhaust deposits I noticed it has been running rich. I checked the plugs and confirmed this. So, I installed new set plugs and changed up a heat range to a MR44T. We'll keep an eye on these to see if I should be adjusting the carb or not.

The bottom has two new coats of copper anti-foul paint. I installed a battery switch, charged the battery, re installed the backseat (removed each fall for better access to the engine), cleaned the bilge and wiped down the engine/lines/wires and drive of any dirt or grime. I also paid some attention to the upholstery where a couple of staples were letting go and gave the rest a wipe down.

I also bought some sterndrive "stays" which are items that snap over the trim rams while trailering. These take the pressure off the hydraulic system and make the whole unit more stable. Cheap at West Marine for #10 and worth every penny in my eyes.

All there is left to do is top up the PS fluid, hydraulic trim fluid and check the oil level again. I'll do this today and send her to this years summer home in Severn Bridge.

Overall she's in good shape and will be just fine for the summer but, it's time to start thinking about a re-varnish job in the fall or next spring.

End of the month we are scheduled for a club run in the 1000 Islands! I'll be ready.

Last edited:

Sean

Hard to believe the boat has been ready for a month and she has not been wet this season. So, despite being rained out on our 1000 Island trip a couple of weeks ago, we finally got out on the water yesterday.

Out of the chute things went great. My Greavette was nice and dry in her covered storage and the new sterndrive "stays" kept the drive off the ground. Extraction was easy and the drive to Lake Muskoka short. En route I filled the fuel at a gas station on the Mohawk Indian reserve. Cheapest gas around ($1.10 litre) and NO ETHANOL!!!!

At the ramp, I clicked over the newly installed battery switch and not only did the trim work but there was plenty of power to start the boat when the time came. The engine fired up instantly and there was no water in the bilge.

On the water (the lake was flat with little traffic) all the gauges read normal. We hit 4100rpm at WOT (which is where she's been since new) and just hummed along. Spent most of the day cruising at about 3200-3400 rpm. The ride of this boat is soft as ever. Trim and steering were perfect. The motor did not stumble , although I think I need to raise the idle a wee bit. I did not check the higher heat range plugs as I thought I'd get a few more hours over several runs to get a good idea of how they are performing.

At the end of the day there was still no visible water in the bilge. She slid right back on het trailer and that was that. Quick wipe down, gear stowage, cooling out of the engine bay, covers , straps... and Bobs yer Uncle!

There is a small tear in the vinyl combing I'll have to get fixed before the Gravenhurst boat show. I think I'll also look into changing the gearing from the current 1.47:1 drive to a 1.65:1 and re-prop to try and get the revs closer to the WOT 4800 spec.

Smiles all around for a great day on the water... 2015 really has arrived.

nathan

glad to hear you had a great day on the water. all your hard work has really paid off. enjoy!!

Sean

I should also mention that my 2004 GMC Canyon crew cab SLE 4x4 (with the inline 5 cyl.) still pulls this boat like a champ despite it's 287,000 kms (180,000 miles). Every day I drive this little truck I love it more and more.

Peels

so far so not bad here. 3 trips!

though, sadly, I got to experience the "need help" side of the camaraderie of the boating community.

its been nothing but cloudy,windy,rainy. a week ago, Sunday, we had warm weather finally...THEN the clouds broke. it got wonderfully HOT. we ordered pizza at the dock. paid for the pizza, got back in the boat. My son was trying to play some music through the ipod... and it sounded REALLY bad. like a machine gun.

Well, the battery had retired itself LOL Ill consider that blessing counted, that this did not happen down river. IT was slightly sluggish to start the day, but I had my backup jump pack..unfortunately it was too dead for even this!

then, a selfless boater at the dock, swapped me batteries so I could load up. :)

for that, I am also thankful. Having helped many folks myself, its nice to have it repaid.

Sean

Yes, what goes around, comes around! I have pushed a few ropes over the years and so, I will not hesitate to help another if I can. Glad to hear it all worked out.

Did you give the guy with the battery a slice of PIZZA?

Peels

Yes, what goes around, comes around! I have pushed a few ropes over the years and so, I will not hesitate to help another if I can. Glad to hear it all worked out.

Did you give the guy with the battery a slice of PIZZA?

haha I offered!

hey any of you guys do the merc gimbal before? Ive only worked on outboard :) any advice is appreciated. Looks somewhat straightforward. just need that darned alignment tool.

heard a squealing at startup. and then rumbly last time out. Seems about the only thing that would do it....and the only thing I hadn't checked.

Sean

The alignment tool is a MUST!

I pulled an Alpha One (1st gen) gimble assembly apart on the weekend. You need a special tool for that too.

Peels

Yep I saw that... assembly looks to be fine

I HATE buying tools for limited use...IE: my next boat will NOT be I/O. But I see no way around it. :) So ill be ordering that up as well.

Sean

I would buy nothing but I/O... not a fan of them drink mixers :)

The hinge pin tool is $ 30 ish CDN. not so bad.

Peels

LOL drink mixers, I recall you saying that before... :)

yeah the alignment tool is not bad... im just bein a big baby. cheers!

nathan

I prefer an Outboard but it is because I prefer to standup to work on a motor rather than hang upside down.

Sean

I can actually lay beside my engine or on the deck on top. With a stool I stand at the transom or I can kneel on the back seat. Very comfortable to reach and work on almost anything.

I like the cost & availability of parts that are not specifically made to fit in a tightly packed puzzle beneath a cowl. And even if they were like that I still prefer the clean lines of the boat without a big block hanging on the back. The inboard engine also resonates through the hull producing the greatest of sounds that is both soothing and exciting at the same time.

.. but, that's just me.

Peels

I'm not TOTALLY against the IO. Actually, getting good at working on it. I suppose, if I had a nicer (not clunky 3.0) motor.... and I was the first owner....I would like it more. I agree with the working upside down quote. been there.

but I boat in shallow, skinny water. and its perilous. I worry a lot. We also like to beach the boat, have a bbq... let the kids play in the sand and water.

My wife REALLY REALLY REALLY wants the new updated Yamaha 24' boat. they are gorgeous and spacious. And i'm VERY familiar with those engines. Im a fan of their complete lack of running gear. And Id like to try wake surfing(i surfed as a kid in cali)

i'm torn between that and decent pontoon with outboard.. IMO they are easier to work on. Just want space to relax, bring the dog... plus have my whiny, jumpy nieces on the boat with us without wanting to throw them off LOL.

time will tell. Still could be I/O in the future. Just no inboards-v drives.... no particular reason, just not into them. :)

Sean

I have one on my bench right now. I have disassembled it and after clean-up painting I will take it to my "guy" for re-assembly. IMHO, this is the major module of the entire drive system. It requires a practiced hand (or at least a practiced observer/coach) to get this thing right. There's an order to it and some of the operations are tricky. Also, It's too much a PITA to do it more than once and ANY issues can quickly become critical if on the water (and expensive).

The alignment is easy-peasy with the tool. You can make one with an old shaft but, I use the real deal.