blown engine

dave

went boating out in the salt water yesterday and the engine got a ticking noise. i never noticed any performance problems but when i put it back in the lake in the late afternoon the noise changed from a tick to a rattle then it stopped. now i am looking for the parts to change it over to a 4.3liter or small block chev and get rid of the 470 once and for all.

Fun Times

Hi, Sorry to hear about your engine problems you are having. Just as a FYI thing I had read some place some one saying the 470 is kind of hard to get out and put a V style engine in it's place. I went and found it for you and I copy and pasted it for you, See Number 6 mainly. 1. If very well maintained, they are fine. Good power to weight ratio.

2. Like any marine engine, ... if neglected, they will need parts and work.

3. 470 parts are rare, expensive and working on a 470 is tedious and finicky compared to most other car derived units.

4. If one has a choice between a 470 and a common car derived e.g. 4.3 Chevy, go with the 4.3 or a Chevy V8 where complete manifold/riser sets can be had new for $400, and starter motors are $59 etc. etc. and all are available in stock at multiple places online and in your town

5. If the history of the boat is unknown, (i.e. "project"), avoid the 470 due to points in number 4 above ^^

6. Repowering a 470 boat with another type of engine is very difficult due to unique transom plate and with twins, the cutouts may be too close together to ever put vee engines in. Also here is some history about your engine. http://www.sterndrives.com/470information/470coolantleakrepair.html

dave

thanks boat teck, i know i will need the transom plate and everything else due to this being an unique engine. i am going to check tomorrow on all the used parts.

Fun Times

thanks boat teck, i know i will need the transom plate and everything else due to this being an unique engine. i am going to check tomorrow on all the used parts.
Good luck too you on it, Are you going to try to work on it your self, Or try to find all the needed parts you can and try to find a shop to help you out?
boat.gif

dave

took the head off tonight and #3 piston was broken and that cyclinder was cracked. have to decide now weather to sell it or fix it.

Fun Times

took the head off tonight and #3 piston was broken and that cyclinder was cracked. have to decide now weather to sell it or fix it.
Sorry to here about your engine doing that:( That is a tough call on selling it or fixing it, I guess it would come down to if it was me is, Do I really like the boat it's self over all, Enough to want to fix it, Or try to get something different.
unsure.gif
Unsure. But at the same time you sound like the kind of guy that can handle the job over all:). I wish you Good luck with it.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks Dave. Sorry to hear this. :(

At least you've got the ability to do some of the work yourself though, which is always helpful. :thumb:

-Chris

dave

i found a 22' sunray with a blown 350 and bought it for the parts too covert mine but the sunray is in such good shape i will keep it and fix it. took the engine out last night and stripped it of all the parts and will pick up a engine tonite. hopefully i will be boating by sunday.

Fun Times

i found a 22' sunray with a blown 350 and bought it for the parts too covert mine but the sunray is in such good shape i will keep it and fix it. took the engine out last night and stripped it of all the parts and will pick up a engine tonite. hopefully i will be boating by sunday.
WOW you do not mess around, You move FAST, What kind of work do you normaly do?:bounce::eyecrazy::bigthumb: :D If you don't mind me asking.:cheers:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Coolio :thumb: :)

-Chris

dave

i picked up the engine last night and striped and cleaned it. measured the lobes on the cam and the one from the new engine is bigger so i will use it. i will pick up some brass frost plugs today and change them before i put the motor in. it doesn't sound like i will be able to go boating on sunday due to the hurricane but i will park the boat on the trailer by the door step and tie it off just incase the water comes up, i always wanted to be that idiot on the news that thy show boating down the road.

Fun Times

i picked up the engine last night and striped and cleaned it. measured the lobes on the cam and the one from the new engine is bigger so i will use it. i will pick up some brass frost plugs today and change them before i put the motor in. it doesn't sound like i will be able to go boating on sunday due to the hurricane but i will park the boat on the trailer by the door step and tie it off just incase the water comes up, i always wanted to be that idiot on the news that thy show boating down the road.
:D:D:D That is funny, Good luck with the hurricane and be safe.:cheers:

dave

i got the motor installed on the weekend and just have to finish up the wiring, hook-up some hoses, install the drive and do some cleaning up. the hurricane wasn't bad, no property dammage or loss of power.

dave

boat tech ,i am a lisenced auto mechanic by trade but i left that and went to work for a company that does mechanical, welding and machining mostly for the marine industry. not the small stuff though we do a lot of work for the navy, coast guard and other shipping companies. the furtherest i went to work on a vessel was to inuvik in the northwest territories last winter to repower a ferry that crosses the mackenzie river.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

We had a pretty decent storm out here last week and it spawned a few tornadoes that did quite a bit of damage.

I'm glad to hear you're in good shape out your way. :thumb:

-Chris

dave

flased-up the new engine tonight and it sounds good, 40psi oil pressure at an idle. i won't have time to test it this weekend because we are going to cape breton, but i will get it in the water the first of next week and try her out. so far the total cost has been- boat with siezed motor and no drive $1200.00, gaskets and misc. parts $200.00, 350 chev engine $free and one saturday and four evenings to put it all together, not bad if it works alright, will post some pic's of the project when it is all done.

Fun Times

boat tech ,i am a lisenced auto mechanic by trade but i left that and went to work for a company that does mechanical, welding and machining mostly for the marine industry. not the small stuff though we do a lot of work for the navy, coast guard and other shipping companies. the furtherest i went to work on a vessel was to inuvik in the northwest territories last winter to repower a ferry that crosses the mackenzie river.
That sounds like it could be fun and different all at the same time, It seems like it would give you a chance to get out and see new things instead of the same old same old thing day in day out all the time.:surf::cool:

Fun Times

flased-up the new engine tonight and it sounds good, 40psi oil pressure at an idle. i won't have time to test it this weekend because we are going to cape breton, but i will get it in the water the first of next week and try her out. so far the total cost has been- boat with siezed motor and no drive $1200.00, gaskets and misc. parts $200.00, 350 chev engine $free and one saturday and four evenings to put it all together, not bad if it works alright, will post some pic's of the project when it is all done.
Cool sounds like you are on your way to the water soon, Keep in mind it is a boat, There is always one or two little thing to do while you are in the water it seems like so bring your tools with you, That way you are ready for them and more then likely you will not need them, Because if you do not bring the tools then more then likey you will need them:yell::D It always seems to work out that way:lol: Good luck on your first trip out, And all the rest to come after that:cheers::)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know how you ultimately make out Dave. :)

I think we're getting close to the end of the '09 season, so enjoy yourself!

-Chris