blown engine

dave

i usually wait until the ice is here before i take the boat out for the year, still some nice days in nov/dec.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
i usually wait until the ice is here before i take the boat out for the year, still some nice days in nov/dec.
Good for you. :thumb:

I usually try to keep one boat in the water at the cottage, until late in the year as well.

Many times I have the lake to myself in November. :)

-Chris

dave

put the boat in and ran it and was loseing power. found the fuel tank to be full of varnish and gel so i removed it from the boat and cut two six inch holes in it and washed it out with some mild acid. then i got a guy at work to weld some covers over the holes and leak tested it. i spent one night cleaning out the bildge under the tank, you wouldn't believe the stuff that gets under there over the years. filled her up with fresh gas and she run great. it tops out at 48.5 mph on the gps, not bad for an old engine but this winter i will have it on an engine stand and put some more horses into it, i would like it to go faster than 50mph.

Fun Times

put the boat in and ran it and was loseing power. found the fuel tank to be full of varnish and gel so i removed it from the boat and cut two six inch holes in it and washed it out with some mild acid. then i got a guy at work to weld some covers over the holes and leak tested it. i spent one night cleaning out the bildge under the tank, you wouldn't believe the stuff that gets under there over the years. filled her up with fresh gas and she run great. it tops out at 48.5 mph on the gps, not bad for an old engine but this winter i will have it on an engine stand and put some more horses into it, i would like it to go faster than 50mph.
You might be able to do that now if you can play with the prop a little. Do you have A Stainless Steel or aluminum prop???;):)

dave

i am running a 23 pitch aluminum, i know i could gain some more if i went to a stainless 23 pitch but i would rather not put one on my boat due to rocks. i would rather beat an aluminum prop to death than ruin the gears in my drive if i hit something. i went to buy a 25 pitch aluminum but it is no longer avable from mercury, plus i don't know what this engine is like inside and won't to have a look in there anyways.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear things worked out Dave.

Any tricks to welding the fuel tank?

-Chris

dave

just have to make sure it is purged of all gas fumes, the acid and water took care of that. you can also fill them with an inert gas such as CO2 or nitrogen as well.

204 Escape

Blowing an engine would suck !! Glad that you can do your own work. I'd just make it worse if I tried to do it !!!!!!!! :eyecrazy: