Bigger motor on boat now.

Well,I finally found a bigger motor. I traded my old 1970 9.5 Johnson in
for an older 1960's Evinrude Fastwin 18 outboard. The Evinrude was priced at $450.00,...but I got it for half that because the dealer I bought the Fastwin from gave me $200.00 for my motor as trade. I am guessing that
my Evinrude Fastwin 18 is about a 1967 model. It is short shaft with both
manual rope start and electric start,...which I love. That Evinrude really makes that Sea Nymph 14R move,...much better than that underpowered
9.5 HP Johnson. The only problem i experienced when I was trying out the
Fastwin was that with the weight of a battery in back,myself,and gas tank,...well,motor,too,...I had a porpoising problem where after the boat got on plane,the bow started to bounce a lot. I had to back off the gas to get the boat to settle down. The dealer I bought it from told me to set the trim in all the way and add a little weight up front,...that should take away the bounce you are experiencing and smooth things out. I have a
fishing outing this coming weekend,so I will see what happens after making the adjustments the dealer told me to make. Aside from that,...
that ole Fastwin purrs like a kitten and idles down really smooth. I
have a feeling that going over to an Evinrude was a good choice. She fires up at the first touch of the start button. She was given a really good tune-up,...you can tell it.:thumb:

dave

good luck, try moving your fuel tank forward, extend the fuel line and route it along the gunnel instead of adding extra wieght to the bow.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats!

Sounds like fun.

As the dealer suggested, move the tilt pin down to the lowest level and move some weight up front and you should be good to go. :)

You'll have to post some new pics when you get a chance. :thumb:

-Chris