350 mag mpi overheating after winter storage

Richard1414

Just returned from a short trip to the lake after winter storage on 2009 h210 frenzy with 350 mag mpi the boat was overheating after 3 minutes of running. It has belt driven water pump but it seems the engine is not getting fresh water cooled! Please help!!!

keith4216

Heres the kit you will need. Don't just get the impellor, get the whole kit.
You can search and find them a little cheaper but this ones not bad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-New-OEM-Sea-Water-Pump-Repair-Kit-46-807151A14-Waterpump-Impeller-Hsg-/180976008386

Its a pita to change out because of the location but I've done a few and you can to if you can fit in the motor compartment. heres a you tube video showing what you'll be getting into. Remember to mark your hoses so you dont reverse them and lubricate the new impeller with some dish soap when putting it back in the houseing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLfF2abE_o

Richard1414

Thanks for all the replys here's an update , removed the water pump and it was definitely the impeller, the thing was ripped to shreds and melted on the shaft of the pulley had to cut it off. The worst part was that the water pump housing was so badly scored on the inside that had to order new water pump housing! So be here in a couple of days I'll let you know how it goes when it gets here.
Thanks again for all the useful replys CHEERS

Peels

Thanks for all the replys here's an update , removed the water pump and it was definitely the impeller, the thing was ripped to shreds and melted on the shaft of the pulley had to cut it off. The worst part was that the water pump housing was so badly scored on the inside that had to order new water pump housing! So be here in a couple of days I'll let you know how it goes when it gets here.
Thanks again for all the useful replys CHEERS

seriously easy job to do the impeller. JUST did my first, took maybe an hour or 2, and all is well! I had intimidated myself, because I took off the lower unit to fix a crack. and it sat for awhile...got lucky though, had forgotten the pitot tube for the speedo and pulled it off while still attached.... but it popped back on and functions fine. :bigthumb:

Fun Times

2009 h210 frenzy with 350 mag mpi the boat was overheating after 3 minutes of running. It has belt driven water pump but it seems the engine is not getting fresh water cooled! Please help!!!

Oops, Just for clarification purposes, the kit linked above is designed for older Mercruiser carbureted and EFI engine models, also that plastic impeller housing may fit current Carbureted Bravo (non MPI"s) engine models as well.

Starting in 2001 with the 496's, All the Bravo MPI engine models eventually went to a Brass impeller housing by the end of 2004. The brass housings utilizes a different rubber impeller and mounting pattern then the one seen above.:cheers:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=12840&bnbr=270&bdesc=Sea+Water+Pump+Assembly