3.0 thermostat kit

Peels

out on the river over the weekend, temp wasnt coming up normally...so I pulled the thermostat, yeah it looks shot..thankfully not something worse.

Whats the cheapest place to buy with gaskets? I'm seeing them all over the webz...not pleased with the prices. thermostats are NOT complicated devices.

And, i see 140 vs 160 degrees... i think my stock is 160. is there anything to gain from going to 140? longevity wise... Or just stick with stock...?

just thinking out loud here...ill need to get one coming soon...

Peels

LOL I just called local boat shop-it was completely useless

and wanted 27.00 for the thermostat, but had no gaskets. <click>

Also having trouble finding what i need in kit form.....online.

need thermo, and flat top cover gasket.

Last edited:

Peels

OK this is the "all by myself thread" LOL I handled it, sometimes, like I said, need to "think out loud"

Got thermo and gaskets coming. ebay all the way.

20 dollars with gaskets. just took some extra time and did some(alot) part # crosschecking, and I've avoided being fleeced.

STILL would have had to wait to get it in too...Trust me, i like to keep my money local too, but the parts guy here said "ummmm Im not sure" 10 too many times.

gave him part #'s and all. thermostat for 30 dollars with no gasket? gtfo. LOL

Sean

Stay stock with the heat range.

I find if an e-bay purchase is wrong... I never return it. But, what-the-hay, it's just a thermostat.

Peels

While it's too late now, the thermostat "kit" part number for your engine model is 807252Q 5.

BAM! indeed that is the one....there was just alot of confusing info on the internet about it. SOmewhere along the line, the design was changed and I kept finding a parts diagram that looked nothing like mine.... but i got it. ALso, even though it had the number, some of the ads said v6 or v8 only..

here it is in case anyone else searches...

... 20 bucks. shipped.

807252Q 5. for newer mercruiser 3.0.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251155662952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Peels

out of curiosity, what is the first sign of impeller quitting?

If the impeller starts to go, would it be opposite? overheat? or maybe random temp changes?

It's getting replaced this off season, but that popped into my head when this happened... I was cruising along up the river, and it only got to 100 or so. and did the same thing on muffs. But the thermo was obviously bad when I pulled it....

Sean

A bad impeller leads directly to overheating. They get brittle and lose capacity or just break/disintegrate and plug up the whole works.

Some techs reccomend replacing it every year. I think you're safe at every other...but, I know guys that haven't changed them in 5 years...yikes!!!

Peels

A bad impeller leads directly to overheating. They get brittle and lose capacity or just break/disintegrate and plug up the whole works.

Some techs recommend replacing it every year. I think you're safe at every other...but, I know guys that haven't changed them in 5 years...yikes!!!

yeah... cheap enough...i feel like sitting all winter is bad for a soft material like that...then throw it in the water... every other sounds smart to me.
thanks!