1975 to 1990 Johnson outboards,...best years?

Hi Guys;
I am considering the upgrade in power from a 9.5 hp 1970 Johnson outboard to a 15 to 25(boat's max. rating)Johnson short shaft manual
auto rewind rope start motor made from 1975 to 1990. Based on any of your experiences,which model year between 1975 to 1990 do you
feel was the best? I am a Johnson guy all the way and wish to stay with them( I wish BRP would bring that brand back). The boat is a 1973 Sea Nymph 14R Big Water. All I wish to obtain here is info as to what year was
best between 1975 and 1990. Heck,I would even take a 1975 20 HP Johnson,...that would probably be plenty of power on my rig.:thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Personally for me, newer is usually better, or at least better running.

I think the biggest improvements in technology from the early to mid 70's to the 90's models related to the ignition systems. The 70's era brought on the change to electronic ignition systems and the move away from points, condensor and magneto systems. And the change in technology (I believe) took a few years to work and refine, and subsequently work all the kinks out of. Many of those smaller motors were quite similar in terms of the other basic technology being that they were all carb motors, but over time they were refined little by little, year over year so that they were smoother running and had better reliability as years went by.

So I would look for something newer rather than older if it was me.

Now if you just like the older motors for the nastalgia of them like I do, then sometimes older is better. :D

-Chris

Maybe I should look at newer motors,and as you say,they may run better with the electronic ignition systems on them. I would probably go as high as a 1990 motor,but not any newer,as I want to keep things affordable.
My boat is rated for a 25 HP motor as I have stated before,but it would
have to be a short shaft motor. I may be a Johnson guy at heart,Chris,
but I would accept an Evinrude 25,too,...and that pretty blue 25 HP Evinrude motor in your 1979 Evinrude brochure would look great on my rig if I could just find one. As long as it is Evinrude or Johnson,and she runs good,that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Maybe I should look at newer motors,and as you say,they may run better with the electronic ignition systems on them. I would probably go as high as a 1990 motor,but not any newer,as I want to keep things affordable.
My boat is rated for a 25 HP motor as I have stated before,but it would
have to be a short shaft motor. I may be a Johnson guy at heart,Chris,
but I would accept an Evinrude 25,too,...and that pretty blue 25 HP Evinrude motor in your 1979 Evinrude brochure would look great on my rig if I could just find one. As long as it is Evinrude or Johnson,and she runs good,that is all that matters.

Chris,check out www.smalloutboards.com. I may buy my next motor from them. I check the site at least every other day to see if they have the
motor I am wanting and looking for. They seem very reputable to me and
I feel I can trust them with my next motor.:thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well for that era, Johnson or Evinrude, it's pretty much all the same. They were one company, so it's much like deciding between a GMC Pickup or a Chev model - same animal different paint and graphics.

If you can, I would try to deal locally. That way if anything goes wrong, you can get help - you'll also avoid shipping charges as well.

-Chris

We have a local paper called "The Free Ad Paper". I could put a 'want ad' in there stating what I am wanting specifically. I may find just as good a motor there as I would from that AFA Marine site. Or,post an ad on this
fishing and hunting website I belong to and post an ad in the "Sell and Swap" board. I just missed out on an early 1980's 15 HP Evinrude one
of our members had for sale. Just did not have enough cash ready in time
to grab on to it. Judging from the photos,it looked like it was well taken care of.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
There are lots around.

You just have to be patient and find a good one at a good price.

Have you tried some of your local dealers to see if they've got some good used ones kicking around?

-Chris