1974 Evinrude 70hp spark issue

Ken Foot

My 74' Evinrude 70hp has a problem firing on all 3 cylinders. Middle cylinder not firing. Sometimes kicks onto 3 cylinders but mostly just 2. Plugs are good. Thought it was a coil so I bought one and swapped it in. No change. Thought it was the Power Pack so I replaced that with a used one and then the bottom cylinder stopped firing. Not sure where to go from here. ?? I have lots of spare parts from a couple other motors but can't trouble shoot past this point. Suggestions/recommendations? Should I try a new power pack or keep trouble shooting past it? Thanks to anyone who knows this issue.

nathan

I would say the stator is bad. check under the flywheel and if the epoxy is gone then the stator most likely is not telling the cylinder when to fire. common issue on the older stators. the new ones do not have epoxy on them. It could be a power pack but I bet if it is then it is a combination of the two.

Ken Foot

Hey Nathan thanks for the feedback. If I got 2 different results from 2 different used power packs can I assume both may be shot? Also, should I replace the stator I have with a used one or should I just order a new one? Thanks again.

nathan

If you have replaced the stator with a used on that was good then you should b good. I would replace the power packs with new ones.