Wood rot

Normaly, when it comes to wood rot, we try to prevent or remedy it. In my case however I want to know how to start it.
The guy that owns the lot next door has stacked a bunch of scrap lumber next to the fence that abuts our property. The last time we asked him if he could move it, he piled up some more. Here in southern California we are subject to wild fire. We had a bad one in 2003 and another one in 2007. And we are fearful that in future fire storms that a hot ember might catch his scrap pile and jump to our house.
So, if possible, I would like to put something on his scrap pile amd just melt it away.
Thanks. :brickwall: :eyecrazy:

Gene B

Wood rot techniques

As someone who has had to remove a lot of rotted wood, it seems like it happens all too easily. Wood (unless it is pressure-treated or painted) will rot if subjected to alternate wetting and drying. You might try soaking the pile down a couple of times a week. It will take a while but it might work. A bunch of dirt thrown in every now and then wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks, Gene B. I've been watering it but mostly to drown the ground squirles that live under his scrap pile and come over to eat our garden and chicken feed. But yeah I will try the dirt too.