What grease should I use?

jporter5333

I am new to boating and the boat I have has been pretty neglected over the years. Since I got it I have been I've been trying to go through the outboard and checking/repairing/replacing to try to get it back to reliable operating condition. There are a three grease fittings on the outboard that I would like to hit with some grease but I want to make sure I use the right stuff. 2 of them are on the steering ram and the other looks like it might be for the drive linkage. Can anyone tell me whether I need to use a marine grease or is regular all purpose grease ok for these? It is a 1981 Mercury 40 hp outboard. thanks in advance.

jporter5333

Thanks Chris. Have you ever heard of Green Grease? greengrease.net. is the website. It's supposed to be great for usage around and in water. It's supposed to be some awesome stuff. Waterproof, high pressure, high temp, anti corrosion etc. Didn't know if this would be OK since I already have a tube of it.
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

jporter5333

Thanks for the responses. So I can use triple guard or the 2-4-c for pretty much anything? I'll have to see what the boat shop has. I wondered about the green grease because autozone has it and the manufacturer claims it's ok for marine. if it was ok then I wouldn't have to drive as far to get my hands on some marine grease. But it sounds like I should probably just get some marine grease.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
As the other guys mentioned, I too normally just use OEM brand product.

Meaning something along the lines of either Merc or BRP brand etc.

If you get good Marine rated grease, it should actually be, not only water resistent, but also be somewhat able to repel water too.

Probabaly the most important time and place to use marine grease is when you are packing your trailer bearings. ;)

-Chris