Want fast small boat ??

ATVGUY

Hello I'm new at this but here goes nothing. I want to buy a new boat ,I want it fast and I want to use the 90hp Yamaha 2stroke .ITs getting phased out and it doesn't weigh anything (260#).I'm thinking about putting it on a Humber Jewel and figure it should do at least 60mph and get there quick. IT also has alot of interior space for its size and looks very stable.So what do you think ? I've be told maybe the hull design will limit it ? To pick a 15' Voo Doo ( to small inside and kind of skinny ) ? Any help will be appreciated .

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard ATV - nice to have you with us. :thumb:

I'm really not sure what the capabilities of the Jewel hull are. It's sort of a updated retro hull.

Hitting 60 with a 90 is a challenge, you're going to definitely need a light-weight hull. The other consideration is how safely you can run at 60 as well.

The Voo Doo would have that potential, the Tuff 16 would be another hull that would probably run close to that I would guess, there is also the St. Martin Powerboats as well with the F13 & F15 models.

With all those hulls though, I would imagine you would be overpowering them beyond their recommended HP power ratings, so you might want to double check and see what if any impact that will have on you getting insurance and also with respect to the local laws in your area. :)

-Chris

Dale

Hello ATVGUY,

Welcome aboard. I wish I could say I have the answer you're looking for, but I had to go look it up and see what a Humber Jewel was.

I was able learn a little more about them on their website and searching the web. They look like they would be a blast although I agree with Chris here. That may be too much engine for the boat. You get it up to 60 in one of those and I would imagine it would be really squirrely.

The hull design specs call for a maximun of a 50 HP engine, but I was able to find one online for sale with a 65 HP Merc on it, so people are going outside the specs and surviving. Or, maybe there is a reason they are selling it.

You would probably have to consider adding weight to the front end if you go forward with it. Otherwise you'll be hauling ass across the lake pointing straight up.

Wish I had more for you. Maybe someone here with more knowledge about them will chime in. Good luck with the build and please let us know what you end up doing. I would love to see video it flying across the lake. :thumb:

ATVGUY

Thanks , they came stock in the 60's with the 65 mercs and handled great . People were even putting on the tower of power 115 mercs . So the lightweight 90 should have no problem , the owner of Humber says they are stable at high speed .

Dale

That's great to know. I'm glad you found someone with the knowledge who knows. Like I said , everything I know about them I learned in 15 minutes on the web last night.

Good luck with the build.

ATVGUY

I'm here to get some different opinions/ideas and really like all the input I can get. I have a really nice pontoon boat and just looking for a fun toy.Do you do your boating in the ocean ?

Mike

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks , they came stock in the 60's with the 65 mercs and handled great . People were even putting on the tower of power 115 mercs . So the lightweight 90 should have no problem , the owner of Humber says they are stable at high speed .
The way the hulls are designed is they have a very wide pad on the bottom of them. Very wide! So I'm not sure how they would handle to be honest. And I'm not sure if the new ones are exactly the same as the the originals. The other thing to keep in mind is, that the Jewel's are pretty short - around 12' if I'm not mistaken. Given that, you'll have to be careful that you don't upset the balance of the boat too much and that it just porpoise's like a mad. ;)

-Chris

ATVGUY

The hull is exactly the same as the old ones , only difference is the new one has a long shaft transom ( they raised it 5" ). I would think that wide pad would give it stability ??? As far as the porposing the 90hp 2 stroke weighs the same as the 50hp 4 stroke. And I've noticed in my boating career that a little extra hp is good to keep that front end down.When I spoke to a boat builder ( who builds fast boats ) he really likes the hull design of the 15' Voo Doo and they race those ( and argues they don't race Jewels ). But the size interior wise and width is more like a kids boat and that turns me off . I don't mind trading off a couple of mph for comfort. Mike

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The hull is exactly the same as the old ones , only difference is the new one has a long shaft transom ( they raised it 5" ). I would think that wide pad would give it stability ??? As far as the porposing the 90hp 2 stroke weighs the same as the 50hp 4 stroke. And I've noticed in my boating career that a little extra hp is good to keep that front end down.When I spoke to a boat builder ( who builds fast boats ) he really likes the hull design of the 15' Voo Doo and they race those ( and argues they don't race Jewels ). But the size interior wise and width is more like a kids boat and that turns me off . I don't mind trading off a couple of mph for comfort. Mike
Well pads are a funny thing - if they're too wide, then the hull can ride harshly as you start entering the domain of a flat bottom boat. If they're not wide enough, then it's hard to get the boat up and riding on the pad, or even if you do, the boat might tend to fall off the pad.

And basically, in the end, the advantage of a pad boat is that you want to try to get the boat up and riding on it, so that the contact patch of the boat on the water is very small, which obviously increases your efficiency and top speed. :)

-Chris

ATVGUY

Thanks Chris ,I'm learning . Now wouldn't the longer the boat give it more area to catch the wind and flip ? Or does that longer nose hold it down ? Mike

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Chris ,I'm learning . Now wouldn't the longer the boat give it more area to catch the wind and flip ? Or does that longer nose hold it down ? Mike
When you say flip, do you mean as in a blowover?

-Chris

ATVGUY

I guess I mean something that happens at high speed. Did a little research on the Voo Doo today and at around 60 mph they can blowover/flip sideways if your not careful.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yeah it's possible on a small boat with lots of power to blowover.

I know on Mark's Hydrostream site, he has info on blowovers for some of the various 'Stream models.

Here's a link to Mark's site, I'm not sure if you've been there already...

http://hydrostream.org/

With the Jewel, the issue that comes to mind for me, is because it's a fairly short hull, I would think putting a heavy motor on the back might change the handling of the boat too much. But I'm just guessing...

Basically all this stuff boils down to physics and largely where the center of gravity ends up being.

-Chris

ATVGUY

I really appreciate all the input . The motor weighs the same as a 50 hp four stroke which its rated for so thats shouldnt be a problem. In the Jewel you sit quite far forward so thats on my side too.If I go thru with this I will just have to be very carefull and take it up to speed slowly.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. :)

If you get one, be sure to post up some pics - it would make a great thread. :thumb:

-Chris

ATVGUY

I will for sure . I have some other questions before I make my final desicion , I guess I should post them the same way ??

shayward

Hi everyone. You are getting some good advice here. The Humber Jewel is a piece of nostalgia, and was never intended to be a fast boat. I've owned a couple of them, tried over powering them, and they just don't want to do much more than 40 some odd mph. Back in the day when you powered them up, they would get a power hook. That is when the back of the boat dishes inward under power and drives the nose of the boat in the water. What we used to do, was put a scissor jack under the motor well and adjust it under power. It would allow the boat to get more mph, but if over done at all, it would begin to porpoise.
The jewel has the aero dynamics of a sheet of plywood, and there are much larger boats that run with less wetted surface area and will be more stable at higher speeds.

As far as a tower of power Merc back in the day, they had no power to speak of except the 150 short shafts which when set to 23 degree timing went like hell until # 3 & 5 detonated and or the crank shaft broke. Sound like I know a bit about this??

Back to the Jewel. If you want a small go fast boat that you can actually use, some of the inflatables out there are amazing.
If you want a whole lot of fun for a reasonable amount of money and a boat that looks super cool and can handle rough water, I have 3 Four Winns U boats (17 & 19) and these things are way too much fun, cheap to operate and cost nothing to maintain. I've got to sell two of them.
Well I've got to get back to it here, but regardless of what you do, be safe, have fun, and let's all do our part to keep recreational boating the great activity that it is.
If you want photos, just ask and I'll supply them

shayward@mail.transdata.ca