tree canoe found of 5300 years old in the netherlands

senator-holland

just before the winter there's a tree canoe found of 5300 years old in the north of the netherlands. the canoe is 8 meters long (27ft)

they have lifted the canoe and the ground around it to prevend it will break. the last owner is proberly a fishing farmer in the year 3300 before christ. the canoe is made of oak and is the most complete canoe found.
there are 2 other canoe found but they were in a worse condition than this one. the canoe is very weak, and to prevend breaking they will lift it with the ground and all. they made a steel box around it before lifting and transport to lelystad to preserve the canoe.

how do i know? i transported it...

img.php

Cooperider

And all this time, I thought I had the cool boat hauling job. I'd love to see some pictures if they ever get it on display.

senator-holland

i do transportjobs with and without my own trucks and trailers.
3 truckdrivers working. i personally drive sometimes the big boats for a client www.vandewetering.com that are cool boats from 33ft till 100ft.
we do also courier jobs around europe with vans.

on the website there is a movie of the blue merlin. really cool american sailingboat vintage....

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your story helmich.

That's a really neat story.

I hope you'll share some more pictures if you get some. :thumb:

-Chris

senator-holland

i don't know when that will be. but i will check on regular basis their website:thumb:

the latest news is that the canoe will be sealed off for the next two years the do the chemical proces to preserve it for the future. if thats done it will be permanent to see in Rijksdienst voor Archeologie, Cultuurlandschap en Archeologie (RACM) their expo of naval history in lelystad holland.

what i find also very interesting is the boatyard next to this site of the canoe...

the batavia warf building yard of famous trade and warschips of the golden century of holland. years 1600-1750.
they have build the batavia on real size, and with the old way to build this ship. the batavia was the first ship to explore the australia. the original was sunk after hitting a reef at the great barrier reef. after that there was mutiny on the surviors. the batavia lay's next to the building yard.

web adress in english:

http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/batavia.html and a Virtual tour

http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/batavia_virtueel.html

right now they are building a real size warship The "7 Provinciën" that is the most famous naval warship from that time... the term "flying dutchman" is from that ship i believe.

the webadress ( in english text ) is http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/7provincien.html

Last edited:

senator-holland

ehh, and i'm not a professional tour guide;)
:D:D:D:D

i was on the batavia several times and the first thing i noticed was that people at that time were not so tall.
for example the doors of that ship were 33% less high. the ceiling was not high enough to stand full up for man-woman of this time. they were 1,60 meters ad that time.

and the batavia sails like a rocket!!

Last edited: