reverse thrust

gearzy

I have a 1990 Four Winns Horizon 200. It has a OMC 5.8 liter engine. The engine runs great. However, here's my problem. When I shift the engine into reverse it engages ok, but if I give it to much gas too quickly it stalls out. If I just "feather" the throttle and slowly give it gas it continues in reverse and eventually stops the boat.
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to adjust it so that I can get some thrust in reverse if I have to slow or stop the boat more quickly?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim-Consider having carb rebuilt. This is inexpensive and something you can even do yourself. You mentioned engine runs well so you may just have tech adjust carb before rebuilding...also inexpensive. Air fuel mixture may be your key here.
Hope this helps.
Capt. Jeremy

You are sayin in reverse, I guess it happens in reverse only not foward? If so it may just need a cable adjustment for the momentary kill switch on the engine.It kills the engine when you put it into gear just for a split second and you do not even know it.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You are sayin in reverse, I guess it happens in reverse only not foward? If so it may just need a cable adjustment for the momentary kill switch on the engine.It kills the engine when you put it into gear just for a split second and you do not even know it.
Welcome aboard - nice to have you here.

Thanks for helping a fellow member out. :thumb:

Love the username. :)

-Chris