~~ Part Question ~~

204 Escape

Firs of all, I am not very mechanical, os this question may seem redundent to some of you. BUT, what is a anode on an a boat ?? :confused:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Basically it's a little piece of metal, normally on your outboard, that is designed to corrode and sacrifice itself in order to protect the other metal in your motor. They are commonly made of Zinc.

On outboards, there is typically one which serves the dual purpose of acting as a small trim tab and anode and you will typically find it above the propeller.

After a number of years they actually corrode and you then have to replace them, to keep your motor protected.

I hope that helps a bit. :)

-Chris

Enticer1

OutDrives

204, there are more anodes on an Outdrive than an Outboard, the purpose is to protect your underwater metal from electrolisis. In a marina there is usually a lot of stray current in the water mostly from poorly grounded boats. If you run in saltwater you are basically running around in weak battery acid which attacks the least nobel metal of your boat which is the anodes. They are more important in saltwater but just as necessary in fresh water.

hillbilly.tim85

i don't have any pictures but if you look at your out drive you will see gray corroded metal and that will be your anode if you get a service book an your type of motor it will show a picture and location of all your anodes hope that helps