outboard or merc-cruiser

Doovy49

I'm presently looking at buying a used fishing boat. I have come across several nice boats, with livewells, fishfinders and trolling motors.

My question is should I look at strictly outboards or are the i/o models good as well? I fish on small lakes where often I'm in shallow water and I've been told that the i/o's won't go there. It seems to me that if the i/o's are as good as car motors, which require very little maint. and last a long time, then they would be the thing to buy. LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard Doovy. :)

Nice to have you here. :thumb:

Most of the bass boat type fishing boats have outboards so you probably won't find too many I/O models.

There are pros and cons to both I/O's and outboards, so what works best for you will usually dictate which is the best choice.

I think some of the pros of an outboard are....

-more simplistic maintenance
-easier winterization
-lighter
-more space inside boat
-runs in shallower water and can be tilted up higher
-easier to repower with new motor

pros of an I/O....

-typically quieter
-depending on model, more fuel efficient
-can be more durable without major rebuild repairs

There are lots more, but that's a start.

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Chris, I guess i'm leaning towards an outboard.
If fishing is your main activity, an outboard is probably better. Outboards are typically better than I/O's for watersports like skiing as well - although a true inboard dedicated ski/wakeboard boat is the absolute best.

Personally where I like I/O's is in applications where it's in a bigger cruiser, offshore or performance boat. Bigger as in, boats in the 21-22 foot plus range. I/O's can be good in boats smaller than that too, but where I think they really excell is in bigger hulls.

But that's just my personal opinion and I know many I/O fans feel differently. :)

-Chris