newbie intro

muskrat

Hi, hope I am doing this right. I am new to the world of boating. My wife and I just bought a 1973 apollo jet boat with the 455 olds. We bought it from friends that have owned it since 1975. It had been sitting for 5 years from a bad starter. It was still winterized and the fuel tank had been drained and cleaned out. Well 200.oo and 12 hours later it roared to life and was put in Lake Washington on a windy day. What a ride!!!!!!!! If anyone has any info about these I would love to hear from you. I have only been able to find pic of 1 other on world wide web(http://www.teshio.com/JetBoat/apollo.htm) cool web site but needs more better quality pics.Incidently they were only asking 1000.00 US and I traded work for it.once I get some pics and figure out how to upload Ill be sure to share

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard muskrat - nice to have you with us. :)

That looks like a really neat jet. :thumb:

What brand is it, if you know?

-Chris

muskrat

kind

the top three pics are the same as mine down to the orange color however it is not my boat. I did contact the owner to ask questions but he has since sold his. mine has spent its entire life in Washington state under cover and only has 404 hours showing on the hour meter. I believe it is a Youngblood jetboat from Triple C Enterprises. Im guessing it was called the XK but I am not sure. The only manual I have is the berkeley 455 pack-a-jet. Like I said it has been difficult to identify anything other than a Apollo badge on the side and on the title.
moz-screenshot.png
If anyone knows or has seen any others Id love to here about it.

btw thank you for moving this to a post not a thread. never newsgrouped before

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well if we can figure out who the manufacturer was/is, then I'll create a gallery category for you to upload your pics to.

One thing you could try is this, if you look at the Hull Identification Number (HIN) the first three letters are a manufacturer's code.

Typically, the HIN can be found stamped into the back of the hull, on the right hand side typically below the rub rail strip.

The HIN numbering code system has changed a little over the years, so some of the pre-mid 70's models, sometimes can't be referenced to the manufacturers code system properly. After the mid 70's you can usually look up the three letter code.

If you want to have a look and post up the first three letters - assuming yours is the newer style - we can perhaps look up the code on the list. :)

-Chris

yolanda

Official EB Photographer!
Welcome aboard Muskrat! Hope you had a great Holiday Season and Happy New Year!!

Are you counting down the days till you can start working on the boat? or have you already started so that when boating season is opened?

I guess I should ask where you are located....because you may be one of the lucky ones that don't get cold or snowy weather.

Pictures of the boat look great even if your boat is orange...just funkier....

RNC

Apollo Jetboats are far and few anymore here is a bit of history for you.

http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/apollo.htm

The 455 and Berkeley pump was the most popular engine and pump package in any make jetboat back in the day. Back then the 455 was the cat daddy in engines for a jetboat because it was a torque monster. It was later years when the big block Chevy became popular when it was discovered that a the big chevy could take higher rpms better than the 455 when drag racing the jet boats.

455's are still common and parts are still available but the engines are getting harder to find and are being replaced by the big block chevy

Last edited: