New member here

old johnson

Just joined this site and enjoy all the knowledge here. I recently have gotten into old 50's johnsons. I kind of like the look to be as they are found but good running. It started when I visited a friend in Va that found a 1957 18 seahorse in a barn which he gave me. All there good compression and spark. Went to a flee market a week ago and found a 10hp johnson painted a purple red for a $100 upon bringing it home it had been completely gone through and all was new but a ugly color. I am now in search of a test boat for these gems. Look forward to hearing from anyone into to old omc's. Thanks Rick

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard Rick - nice to have you with us - thanks for joining up. :thumb:

I've got a few old OMC's myself. I've got an old late 50's, 5.5 'Rude that's been our family for a number of years and I've also got a mid 50's Johnson 5.5 as well.

What do you think you'll put yours on? I have an old Tin boat that I throw mine on. I usually just rotate them around for fun. :)

-Chris

dave

they are fun old motors, i had a 50's 35hp big twin, worked good but hard as hell on gas, even the electric start and choke still worked, sold it a couple of years ago and it is still going.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I keep thinking about picking up an old cedar strip of some kind.

I was thinking about getting something capable enough of holding an old 50's JohnnyRude 15 or 18.

I also wouldn't mind putting on an old Merc Mark of some kind. :)

-Chris

old johnson

Chris I have been looking for a 10ft larkin the boats that were used by the clowns in Disney World. Down here in Fl we now have 90 octane non ethonol gas which I think is old motor friendly. Rick

Earl's 86 Swirl

:welcome: OJ.

Look forward to seeing pictures of what you come up with.

Hey! That reminds me that I have yet to upload pictures of my boat..... Oh for shame!:)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Chris I have been looking for a 10ft larkin the boats that were used by the clowns in Disney World. Down here in Fl we now have 90 octane non ethonol gas which I think is old motor friendly. Rick
I think it's mostly the rubber seals in the fuel delivery system that you have to watch out for with the newer fuels. I'm sure you must be able to change out some parts and still be good to go. :thumb:

I'm not familiar with the Larkins, I've been more or less keeping an eye out for an older cedar strip boat.

This site has lots of nice used woodies. :)

http://www.portcarlingboats.com/MuskokaBoatsforSale.htm

-Chris

old johnson

Chris a good friend of mine on the eastern shore of Va has a warehouse full of whirlwind wood boats with original power. Mt Dora gets bigger and bigger every year and I think they moved it. Also alot of vintage racers run there and there are vintage races set up around the country. Wood=Work Rick

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Kewl. :)

There's an Antique show up in central Ontario each summer.

There's pics in the Boat Show and Event thread if you haven't found it yet. The weather was rainly and pretty crappy last year, so we skipped it. But there's a couple of years worth of pics posted if you feel like burning up some time.

Many of the boats on the site I linked to show up there from year to year though.

-Chris