New from Alberta Canada

turnandburn

Hi there, names Tyler, I'm merried with two kids, boy is 3 and my daughter is almost 2. I own two boats currently. My first boat ever, I bought almost two years ago. It's a 1982 16.5 peterborough with a 115 Merc. Then last fall I picked up a 1992 19.5ft Mastercraft Prostar190, direct drive with a 351HO 285hp. I live in western Alberta. I will post up pics soon of both boats. Thanks for having me!!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, names Tyler, I'm merried with two kids, boy is 3 and my daughter is almost 2. I own two boats currently. My first boat ever, I bought almost two years ago. It's a 1982 16.5 peterborough with a 115 Merc. Then last fall I picked up a 1992 19.5ft Mastercraft Prostar190, direct drive with a 351HO 285hp. I live in western Alberta. I will post up pics soon of both boats. Thanks for having me!!
Welcome aboard Tyler - it's nice to have you with us. :)

Where abouts do you boat in Alberta?

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. :)

-Chris

turnandburn

Thanks for the welcome guys!! I live in Rocky Mountain House so there are only two small lakes close by, like 10 minutes away close. Cow lake and Crimson lake. Spend most of our time at Cow. On with the pics, lol.

My 82
boating031.jpg

IMG00469-20090831-1018.jpg

IMG00467-20090830-1843.jpg

turnandburn

These direct drive boats are a different animal to drive. They are super smooth and will turn on a dime and stay nice and flat. But try to drive the boat in reverse while steering in one direction or the other. Its tricky to say the lease. Still need a lot of practice. Only got it out on the water twice last year before winterizing it, due to a very late purchase. Can't wait for summer!!

john lamon

Nice, I like that Mastercraft, I've never owned a direct drive before but it does look like it would handle like it was on rails.

I spent a lot of time in the Rocky area surveying wellsites and pipelines, it's nice country, you could always head to sylvan if you wanted to deal with the zoo of people there, man there is some nice stuff to look at on the beach there.:D

turnandburn

Zoo of people is right on sylvan! No thanks. Late season on cow is nice, most of the time you are the only one on the lake. Crimson lake is down right dangerous. It's a tiny little pond they call a lake, nice beach and lots of cabins. It the lake most people go to around here. Way too busy for my liking.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys,

How is the boating out your way?

I guess I've always had the impression (probably incorrect) that there isn't a lot of big boating spots in Saskatchewan and Alberta unless you head up north.

It's big in Toronto to have a weekend cottage an hour or two outside the city and then head there on weekends. That's what makes up a large segment of the boating here in Southern Ontario. Muskoka is one popular spot but you can also go east of Toronto or north east as well.

Is that something that is also popular to do out in Western Canada?

-Chris

john lamon

Hey Chris, in Sask there are a lot of big boating spots and I would say the majority of people who have boats also have a cabin at a lake, I would list them off but I don't think they would all fit in the thread.

http://www.sasktourism.com/places-to-go/lakes?WT.mc_id=go8g9&WT.srch=1

Your right that there isn't a ton of lakes in the southern part of the province but there are some, you never have to drive real far to find water, my family have been at Jackfish & Murrey lakes since 1955 and it is rare that I ever miss a weekend in the summer, my grandparents paid $110 for both lots, haha, I bought my own place out there in 2000, it's 176 km from my house to the cabin, there is a creek that joins the two lakes and with both lakes there are about 2600 cabins.

Map%20of%20Jackfish%20Lake.gif

here is a pic of one of the beach's

n651870525_742434_8345.jpg

and a look across the lake

n501963455_44631_1774.jpg

This is my front yard, it's in Cochin on the creek that joins the 2 lakes together.

40824_413837162059_593712059_5207940_3301130_n.jpg

I love the lake life and can't imagine my life without it, ready for it to warm up here soon so some of that ice starts melting, -33 here this morning,:shakehead: it's all that everyone I know has been talking about is getting back out to the lakes, I guess my point is it's very popular to have a cabin here, there are also a lot of people that will just rent a camp site for the whole year and leave a camper there, just to name a few of the popular boating lakes, Emma, Candle, Turtle, Waskesiu, Emerald, Blackstrap, Diefenbaker, Christopher, Chitik, these are all within a few hours of Saskatoon and there are a ton more, prices have stayed fairly reasonable because there is so much lake property available but just in the last 2-3 years they have really increased a lot, all the baby boomers are selling there homes in the city to move to the lake and retire and driving prices up, sure glad I got in when I did.

Last edited: