Need advice on upgrading my motor

Moxieman

I have a 14" Sylvan utility fishing boat powered by a 2005 Mercury 9.9 4-stroke, electric start, long shaft, tiller outboard. It is not enough power for this boat.

What is a better deal???

Trade my 2005 Mercury 9.9hp motor and $800 for a 2007 Nissan 18hp from a private seller (no warranty)

or

Trade my 2005 Mercury 9.9 motor and $1700 for a 2009 Nissan 20hp from a local (trusted) dealer (3 year warranty).

Or, any other ideas?

Steve

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard, nice to have you with us.

What is the max power rating of your Sylvan? Some 14' Tin boats can handle quite a bit of weight and power, others can't. It really depends on the model of boat and how it's constructed. And with the lighter weight models, if you get too much weight on the transom, you're likely to end up with the boat wanting to porpoise a lot, or worse.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that the new 4 stroke motors are a lot heavier than the old 2 stroke models of the same HP. So I would see what the weight differences are between the different models you're considering. At this point in time, the weight differences between some of the 4 strokes of the same HP from manufacturer to manufacturer can be quite different.

As far as what deal is best, assuming all the motors will work - myself I'd go for the 09 with warranty from the dealer. Better to get something you can trust with a warranty and more power is always good if the boat can handle it. If the dealer is taking your old motor on trade, there might be some sales tax savings as well, depending on where you are.

-Chris

Moxieman

Chris:

Thanx for the response. My boat is rated for a 25hp motor.

The 9.9 I currently have is a 4-stroke. So, it is already heavier than a comparable 2-stroke. It weighs 84 pounds. The 18 and 20hp Nissan are 114 pounds. A 25hp Mercury is 157 pounds - like you said, probably too heavy.

I am leaning towards the 2009 model.

Steve

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
BRP just brought out some smaller ETEC models including a 25 HP.

I took a few pictures of them at the 09 Toronto Boat Show.

Not sure what they weigh though...

I shall investigate!

Mercs little 25's and 30 I believe are also rope start EFI's which is very cool. I thought they were a bit lighter than 150+ though, but you're probably right.

I've got a '06 2 Stroke Merc 25 that goes like stink on my 14' Tin boat. I think it weighs in around 115ish if I remember correctly.

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a shot of me from last year rippin' it up, with my Merc 25 2 stroke on the tin boat.

Spring can't come soon enough! :thumb:

rough1.jpg

Moxieman

Thanx for the great pics. I was going to stay with a Mercury. But, my dealer (who sells/services both Mercury and Nissan) says that the 20hp models of both manufacturers are exactly the same. He says that Tohatsu, Nissan and Mercury are made by the same company. I'd like to go with the 25hp EFI. But, I just don't want to spend that much money. At that point I might be btter selling my boat and motor and buying a new rig - maybe a low end Tracker.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx for the great pics. I was going to stay with a Mercury. But, my dealer (who sells/services both Mercury and Nissan) says that the 20hp models of both manufacturers are exactly the same. He says that Tohatsu, Nissan and Mercury are made by the same company. I'd like to go with the 25hp EFI. But, I just don't want to spend that much money. At that point I might be btter selling my boat and motor and buying a new rig - maybe a low end Tracker.
I know my Merc was one of the last North American made 2 stroke models. I believe after 06 Merc moved production of the small 2 stroke models "off-shore". So your dealer might be right in that they are the same.

There are other cases where manufacturers supply major components like powerheads for one another, but assemble the rest themselves. If I recall, Suzuki and OMC/BRP had one of those agreements for quite awhile on 4 stroke powerheads.

One of the other manufacturers that I failed to link up was Honda. Based on their past models I figured they would be the heaviest of the bunch. Apparantly they've lightened them up quite a bit and surprise, surprise... Honda's 20 HP weighs in at 108.

http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail.aspx?modelGroup=BF20

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Great Pic, I love to see em " New in the Box " I can feel the anticipation!
Oh yeah!

Anticipation ain't the word. :devil:

And I saved that box! :rof:

I had to drive 1 1/2 hours from Toronto to get the motor, then drove 1 1/2 hours back home with it. Then I had to wait a few days and drive it 2 1/2 hours up to the cottage.

Finally I got to mount it the next morning (Saturday) which is when I took the pics that you see. Of course the anticipation was somewhat subdued by the fact I had to follow the break in procedures! And that probably took at least a few weekends before I could open it up! :yell:

All is good now though. :D

-Chris

Moxieman

I did the dirty deed and ordered the 20hp Nissan 4 stroker yesterday. I'll be picking it up next Saturday. I won't be able to take a picture of it in the box. But, I'll take a snap of it mounted on my boat and share it here. I'll miss my 9.9 since it served me well. But, I'm sure the memory will fade once I can plane out and get some where fast.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome!

Congrats on the purchase. :cheers:

I'll look forward to seeing your pics. :)

-Chris