More winterizing

Sean

While we are on the topic of winterizing...

I want to wash my canvas boat cover and treat it with a water repellent.
I have some stuff called Sunbrella 303 fabric guard. This was recommended by the people who made the cover. Not cheap at $36 bucks a 946ml bottle!

Anybody here ever used this stuff?

Peels

I wonder if its just like scotchguard...which is just an oil-based, water repellent coating?

doesnt sound harmful.

edit: a coworker drives a convertible corvette, I just casually mentioned it to him. he uses it and approves. I do too, his car looks nice. it's a white top.

but says his only costs 20? doesn't know how big...."spray bottle" he said.

Sean

Well, I'm treating the top this weekend. I don't know if "scotchguard" is water repellent but this stuff sure is. It also has to withstand an outdoor atmosphere so we're going with it.

I'll let you know how good it is. :)

Sean

Just cleaned out the boat... removed the seats, scrubbed the bilge to a shine, polished the chrome, decks and hull, cleaned and waxed the outdrive, stowed the lines, fenders, tool kit, first aid kit, then wiped down the dash and gauges.

Just have to tackle that cover.... I think I'm procrastinating on that :(

Sean

Okay, I took the canvas boat cover to the coin op car wash... threw it over my truck and used the high pressure on it (soap & rinse). It did an reasonable job (I got totally soaked though). Still a few spots I saw as it was drying. The wind was gusting this afternoon so the cover dried reasonably well. At least to the point where I put it back over the boat so it would hang better for drainage and further drying. If I can get a sunny day with no wind tomorrow, Ill use the water repellant fabric treatment.

Sean

So it has to be 21*C to apply the fabric guard (also in direct sunlight).
That's okay, as the boat will be indoors for the duration...

After drying I can still see some "black" spots in the canvass. I have to think this is some type of mould. When I wet the area it all disappears. So, I have found a product to remove this too.... good thing I didn't do the fabric treatment yet :)