Mercury Motor Issue

jgsmokercraft

HI WANT TO SAY HELLO AND ASK FOR ANY HELP ON FUEL PROBLEM. HAVE A 92 MERCURY 90 HP ON A SMOKER CRAFT HAD FUEL PUMP DIAPHRAGM REPLACED NEW FUEL LINE FROM TANK TO MOTOR INCLUDING SQUEEZE BALL. CANNOT GET NEW BALL HARD. ALL HOSE CLAMPS ARE TIGHT NO FUEL IS COMMING OUT OF CARBURATOR OR FUEL LINES. BOAT STARTS AND RUNS TILL IT STARTS TO BOG YOU HAVE TO SQUEEZE THE BALL AGAIN TO GET MORE FUELL. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED JGSMOKERCRAFT

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi jg,

Welcome aboard, it's nice to have you with us. :)

It sounds like you checked out most of the common issues.

Is this a built in tank or portable?

If it's portable, is it venting properly? Are any of the clamps on the hose over tightened and causing a restriction? Did you check the fuel pickup in the tank to see if it's clogged or restricted somehow? Have you double checked the diaphram to make sure it didn't accidently get a tear in it during installation?

Those are some ideas I can think of off the top of my head, perhaps some other members will have some others.

Let us know if you figure it out. :)

-Chris

jgsmokercraft

Thanks Chris for the help. Went down to Lake of the Ozark last week and had a new pump assembly installed and the boat worked fine. Mechanic told me alcohol in the fuel today helps deteriorate the fuel pump diaphragm and also not to put too much pressure on the squeeze ball which will also rupture the diaphragm. Stable makes a marine grade fuel supplement added to the gasoline to help stop the alcohol deterioration. Will use this from now on to stop any damage. Hope this information will help others.

Thanks again

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for updating us - I appreciate that. :)

I'm sure you posting the soluation you found will help someone else down the line somewhere. :thumb:

I'm glad you got it fixed up and can now go out and enjoy the water!

-Chris