Is a car 2.3 the same as a omc cobra ford 2.3

john mills

How you all doing. I'm new here as you can tell. I have a 87 20 1/2 ft RENKEN cuddly cabin I got for 500 bucks... I thought it was a deal I I got it. I redid the hole inside and a lot of new parts on the motor. It run realy good on the ears. I thought it was ready for the water. Hahaha I was wrong I brote it to the river to run on the trailer for awile befor bringing my self my girl and are 5 kids on the lake. Well I have water in my oil .. I was told it is a cracked block. Can I put a mustang. 2.3 in and have it bolt right in??????? Or should I sell the boat.. I have 2 grand in it know can you help please..

Chris E

that is the wrong engine for that boat, a 20 footer with a 120hp engine in it? in my experiance, that is a rotten boat motor, it's connecte to an omc drive which will be hard to get parts for. my suggestion would be to yank it out and put in 4.3, 5.0, or 5.7 mercruiser. at least you can get parts for it, and with a proper engine in the boat, it will plane. with 7 people in the boat, you will need a lot of power to get on plane easily.

john mills

Ya I just want to get one more year out of thge boat so if there is a cheap fix ill try it first... I have heard about some stuff I can run thru the coolent system that will work to so I may try that.. And yes I would love to go with a bigger motor and lots of power but I don't have a lot of money..... So doin the best with what I got... Any other ideas would still be nice just want to bring the fam out in are money pit one time lol ... Ok man thank you for ya help any oother ideas ill still try if I can