I need some info about a tilt and trim motor

pdworthy

My neighbor and I are restoring a 1978 procraft and have found that the tilt and trim motor is bad. The motor on the boat is a tallboy 90hp mercury outboard. We were wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to get a tilt and trim motor new or used or where to have one rebuilt. Or if possibly someone here has one they would be willing to sell. The tilt and trim motor we have has no serial or model numbers on it that we can see so I am limited on knowing if there is a crossover we can use. As you can probably tell we have little knowledge about these things and are strictly doing this as a side hobby, it has been a true adventure. If you have some info that may be helpful to us we appreciate it.
Good boating and Fishing.
Paul

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard Paul. :)

Nice to have you with us. :thumb:

Is this the older style Merc pump that had the seperate reservoir? Or is it all integrated into the motor?

eBay is always a good spot for finding good used parts.

You could also try your local Merc dealer and see what they have available. Perhaps you can get the original part, or perhaps you can get a kit of some kind to retro fit it.

-Chris

pdworthy

thanks chris for the welcome and it is seperate from the motor and basically looks like a starter style motor with another case attached to the bottom. It is the original tilt and trim the boat had (if this helps). most of the tilt and trims we have seen listed have three wires and this one only has two, that is the biggest difference we have noticed.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
So this isn't one of the early Merc units that had a seperate reservoir?

With the old system, there was a pump system that usually got mounted inside the boat. The newer systems have everything mounted on the motor itself.

-Chris

devonshire

Check outboardparts.com

I checked outboardparts.com and they have a trim tilt motor that looks like what you have described. What I normally do is, find the item, get the part number and go to other sites to get the best price. Always remember to check for free shipping. Hope it works for you.