Fuel Prices Won't Stop Boaters

Has Rising Fuel Costs Changed Your Boating Behaviour?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Not yet, but if costs keep increasing it might!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to an article which claims boaters won't be held back because of rising fuel costs.

It's an interesting article, but speaking from personal experience, we choose to use our smaller boat over the Checkie and the main reason is fuel costs.

What are your thoughts?

Will rising fuel costs change your behaviour and if so how?

http://www.boating-industry.com/output.cfm?id=1625689

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
Personally for me it hasn't had an effect yet. I think if and when you see $5.00 gal then maybe you'll see the effects. I know around here (SC) it's not slowing anyone down just yet. I usually make a few passes, ride a little the hit the sand bar to hang out. My brother has a Jon boat that we hydroslide behind so I don't use the checkie.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The effect it has had one me, is that I use our smaller boats more as they use less gas.

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
I hear that Chris. We went to the lake yesterday and didn't go very far. I've got a new prop (25P Tempest Plus) and finally got to test it w/ just three people instead of 6. I made a few runs then we ended up at a sand bar and just chilled a little. Our son loves the water so it worked out well. :thumb:

1Mate1

Gas today hit $1.35/L (X 4.54 [L's per gallon])= $6.13 Per GALLON ! Damn right it's affected my boating habits. My big boat will remain on the trailer this summer and I'll putt around in the 14 ft. aluminum. No water skiing, no cruises with a boatload of friends, no trips up the river to Bracebridge; too bad. If Bush would have stayed out of Iraq...:mad:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'll most likely use the Check when the gals want to go skiing.

But to just go blasting around the lake when a tank-full will be over 100 bucks...I don't know if I would enjoy it.

So far this year I've run all over the place in the 14' Aluminum with the 25 and I've burned a little less than half a 5 gallon tank.

Mate, you should post some pics of your Alumabeast! :thumb:

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
Gas today hit $1.35/L (X 4.54 [L's per gallon])= $6.13 Per GALLON ! Damn right it's affected my boating habits. My big boat will remain on the trailer this summer and I'll putt around in the 14 ft. aluminum. No water skiing, no cruises with a boatload of friends, no trips up the river to Bracebridge; too bad. If Bush would have stayed out of Iraq...:mad:

This isn't the place to pick a political battle, but it amazes me when folks are misinformed. The gas prices has nothing to do w/ Bush and Iraq, it's called supply and demand my friend. The world supply of oil can't keep up with demand it's that simple, basic economics 101. If you want to blame someone, lay the blame on the democratic congress along w/the enviromentalist that will not let the oil companies drill off the coast of Cali, Florida and in Alaska. Oh Don't forget it was President Clinton that sign the bill keeping the oil companies out of Alaska. Sorry Chris didn't mean to get off topic.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I think it has more to do with OPEC arbitrarily setting low production figures, that in turn drives up the price of a barrel of oil.

I don't think Bush has the ability to control the price of a barrel of oil somehow. He's one voice among a group of many. Could he fight harder to increase production numbers? Maybe, but who knows what difference it would make.

The U.S's largest supplier of oil is actually Canada anyway. ;)

The bottom line to me is that the price is too high and it's hurting the world economy as well as our ability to go boating. :irked:

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
I think it has more to do with OPEC arbitrarily setting low production figures, that in turn drives up the price of a barrel of oil.

I don't think Bush has the ability to control the price of a barrel of oil somehow. He's one voice among a group of many. Could he fight harder to increase production numbers? Maybe, but who knows what difference it would make.

The U.S's largest supplier of oil is actually Canada anyway. ;)

The bottom line to me is that the price is too high and it's hurting the world economy as well as our ability to go boating. :irked:

You are right!!! The Engineering Firm I work for is designing two plants for/in Canada to boost production as we speak, but we'll not feel the effects of that for a few years.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The truth is that a lot of our oil (in Canada) has remained uptapped, because when the price of a barrel of oil was 15-20 bucks, it cost too much to extract and refine a barrel, to make it attractive.

But with oil running at 100+ dollars a barrel, it's more cost effective and more cost attractive because you can get more for it.

To me the problem here is two fold.

1-OPEC arbitrarily screwing around with production figures so they can make their stakeholders rich which equates to them lowering supply and driving up the price.

2-Investers, future traders and big investment firms speculating and creating froth in the investment marketplace and driving up the price of a barrel of oil. This is no different to what they have done with the technology stocks or most recently the sub-prime mortgage fiasco. And this part of the problem will solve itself as soon as the price of a barrel of oil starts to fall in a more significant kind of way. And then of course you can expect a bunch of them to expect to be bailed out by government because of their own stupidity.

Just my .02 cents and a bit more. :D

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
Here's a good article on the gas prices showing Bush wanting to increase supply but the democratic congress wants to decrease demand. The link:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/09/bush.congress/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Before departing the White House early Monday for a farewell tour of Europe, President Bush stole a page from his predecessor and suggested he feels American consumers' pain.
art.gas.gi.jpg
Democrats and Republicans are deadlocked over how to address the rising gas prices.

corner_wire_BL.gif

"A lot of Americans are concerned about our economy," Bush said. "I can understand why. Gasoline prices are high, energy prices are high. I do remind them that we have put a stimulus package forward that is expected to help boost the economy. And of course, we'll be monitoring the situation."
Americans are looking for more action, though, than monitoring the situation.
But while gas prices keep soaring, the chances of Washington finding a solution keep dropping because Democrats and Republicans are deadlocked over how to fix the problem.
Bush talks mostly about increasing supply through more oil drilling in places like Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
"I've proposed to the Congress that they open up ANWR, open up the Continental Shelf, and give this country a chance to help us through this difficult period by finding more supplies of crude oil, which will take the pressure off the price of gasoline," Bush said Monday.
video.gif
Watch how Congress could affect gas prices »
But Democrats like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi are vehemently opposed to increasing production on environmental grounds, so the president's plan has virtually no chance of passage in the current Congress.
Don't Miss

In turn, Democrats talk mostly about lowering demand for gasoline through research into alternative fuels -- something the president talks about too -- and more funds for mass transit.
"It's got to involve investing in alternative fuels, so that we can have some alternatives to gas and significant investment in public transit," Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, a key supporter of Barack Obama's presidential bid, said Sunday.
These types of plans will take a long time to implement, so no quick fix there either.
And with the federal government now more than $9 trillion in debt, where would Congress find the money to pour into public transit and research into alternative fuels?
With the parties deeply divided on solutions, it's not surprising that last week a Senate bill requiring major cuts in greenhouse-gas emissions failed.
Only 48 of 100 senators voted for it amid charges by White House press secretary Dana Perino that the bill would have a devastating impact on the economy and thus might not really help cut the price in gasoline.
But six absent senators, including Obama and Republican John McCain, said they would have voted yes to end debate and move forward on the bill. That led some in Congress to declare that Congress will have the momentum to take action next year on reducing America's dependence on foreign oil.
advertisement.gif

All that means, however, is that there's optimism the next president might be able to find an energy compromise in 2009.
In other words, don't expect any help from Washington any time soon.

LAPLANT

PRICE OF GAS

MONEY IS JUST MONEY YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YA
I AM ON THE WATER EVERY WEEKEND AND SOME WEEKNIGHTS
EVERY TIME I GET IN MY CHECK I'M GONNA DROP THE HAMMER AND AIR HER OUT:thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
170 - To me politicians are all the same.

When they're new and running, they've got all the answers and will solve everything. Gas price to high? I'll solve it! I'll invent the electric car and cure the common cold to boot! :D

Then the minute they get in - they immediately say they can't do anything because the last guy left them with a bunch of surprises and with a mess to clean up.

Then they do a little bit of this or that for a bunch of years, blame a bunch of stuff they can't do or that is screwed up on the opposition and then they ulimately get replaced by a new guy who starts the process all over again. :rof:

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
170 - To me politicians are all the same.

When they're new and running, they've got all the answers and will solve everything. Gas price to high? I'll solve it! I'll invent the electric car and cure the common cold to boot! :D

Then the minute they get in - they immediately say they can't do anything because the last guy left them with a bunch of surprises and with a mess to clean up.

Then they do a little bit of this or that for a bunch of years, blame a bunch of stuff they can't do or that is screwed up on the opposition and then they ulimately get replaced by a new guy who starts the process all over again. :rof:

I 100% agree!!!!:thumb:

PapaMaC

I think the gas prices will only significantly hinder those who have the older boats with big block engines (mainly twins). Reason I say this is because many people are already living on the edge, financially, and most of them would have been more willing/able to blow $100 in gas on a weekend than over $300 now. I've seen a drastic increase in reduced prices and rushed sales of big boats in the last year from many years previous. I know of at least a few that sold their 30-48 footers and rented their dock space to help cover the mortgage on their intercoastal home as everything started getting more expensive.:shakehead:

175checkmate

Super Moderator
Well said Chris. With the price of gas I am not in a big hurry to finish the boat. The big merc on the back loves to drink the stuff. A day of boating and having fun = 19gal in the boat + 2 6 gal portable cans. About $230 and then another $100 in the truck to pull it to the lake. Ouch.

RNC

Its changed my habits. Sometimes I would go twice a week it all depends on my work. Or every weekend during the summer. Here is what it cost me now.

It takes 15 gallons of 93 octane in my ton truck to get to and from the lake.
30 gallons in the boat per trip. Thats not filling the boat up it holds 75 gallons.

Gas is 4.16 here now per gallon for 93

45 gallons per trip 187.20 + beer + food + what ever else we buy at the lake that day.

I am lucky if I get out for 300.00 a trip. Theirs to many bars and resturants on this lake

remlinger

No affect here. still pissing away 15 gallons min. each time out. Higher prices just means I work longer so I can play harder when I'm off of work.

What hurt was the marina raising the price from 900 to 1800 a season this year. But the good thing is that we're using the boat even more to get our money's worth out of having the conveniance of have not to trailor the boat each time out.