Call goes out: mandate boat licensing. Should they do it or not, If you really think

boat licensing, Should they do it or not???

• Total voters

capttony

boating course is needed for 1st time boaters and anyone who is safety minded on the water, their is small percentage of boaters that show a lack of common sense and safe boating on the water,every year on lake erie there are boating accidents that could of been avoided. uscg aux, and captain, capt tony

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
boating course is needed for 1st time boaters and anyone who is safety minded on the water, their is small percentage of boaters that show a lack of common sense and safe boating on the water,every year on lake erie there are boating accidents that could of been avoided. uscg aux, and captain, capt tony
Welcome aboard capttony!

Nice to have you with us and thanks for joining up. :thumb:

-Chris

rbodine

I like the idea of making people take a brief class and pass some sort of test to get a license. What I don't like would be paying every year or so to renew that license!

devonshire

License is an excuse for government revenue

A license will serve no purpose but to generate more revenue for government. There will still be the excuse
we don't have the resources to cover the lake or whatever, because the revenue will go into the general fund and disappear. The real issue here are the "zipper-heads". They will get in a car, license or no license. Has a license made you safer on the road? Why would a license for boating make you safer...to the "zipperheads" it makes no difference. There are those who will still drink...ignore safety...won't know or care about the rules of the road. The best plan is to keep your eyes on the water and steer clear of any apparent menace where possible. In the state of Maine anyone caught drunk while boating loses their drivers license. So my short answer is no license.

bayman

At least have them take a boating course so first time boaters are not such a danger to those of us that know what we are doing. In Maryland if you were born after a certain year you have to take the course and carry proof with you on the water. No problem with that. Makes everyone that much safer. If you have ever been in Ocean City Md. then you would see my point. I have never seen such a bunch of idiots on the water in my life as there. The jet skis are the worse and some of the boaters have no respect for others on the water when they come real close to you and almost turn you over with their wake. Especially if you are in the inlet and the big boats are coming in from the ocean, you better keep an eye on them because they seem to think they own the inlet. I guess they think they are making an impression on the people on the jetty as fast as they come in that inlet. The inlet is where a lot of people fish for flounder but it can get rather dangerous with those guys around.Thats the main reason I try to stay out of the water there. When I do go it is either at night or after the tourist season.

Ray

No Licence.

People let get a grip on the bigger picture. A little piece of paper will not solve any of our boating related problems. We are what were taught or what we have learned, if your nature is to be disrepectful then you will be disrespectful.

Why punish everyone for the sake of a few bad apples. There is one thing that WE all cherish "Money". So I say increase the fines and make them High enought. You hit a pocket book hard enought and most idiot's won't be on the water. Why "They cant afford it".