Black Lower Unit

Enticer1

Just wanted to let you guys know what I found in my lower after losing reverse. I suspected that the surface where the clutch dog and reverse gear mated would be mush but was pleasantly surprised when I disassembled everything to find a broken $ 5.25 part. The shift cam was chipped on the end that engages reverse. Not much money but anytime you open the lower up you might as well replace all the seals and O-rings so basically for $ 100 I will be back on the water. In case your wondering I couldn't believe the condition of the gear faces (no noticable wear) the clutch dog had some viseable wear but certainly not ready to remove from service.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Good info Enticer, thanks for posting that up.

What did you buy, a complete seal kit and an impellar kit as well?

I know when I opened up my little punt motor which had lost reverse, I found a broken bearing carrier and a broken clutch dog.

It's good to hear yours was in better shape. :thumb:

-Chris

Enticer1

Seals

Chris, I didn't buy a complete seal kit. I had to piece it out after finding that my lower had been basterdized by a previous owner or repair shop. Although my lower acts and operates like an EZ-shift it actually has the bearing carrier from a cam-shift lower. The prop shaft on a cam-shift lower has a single oil seal ( which is what I have ) and the carrier on an EZ-shift has 2 ( an inner and outter ) oil seal. Ain't boats fun.

Enticer1

Back Together

I was intimitaded at first but it wasn't that hard. I did have to buy 2 tools and I made the third. You have to have a carrier nut wrench and the bearing carrier puller made it very easy. I did replace the aft prop-shaft bearing in the carrier not because it was bad but because I damaged it while removing the old seals. I also replaced the lower shift shaft because I wanted to use the old one to make a tool for future use. After replacing the shift cam and and reinstalling the prop shaft I put the bearing carrier in the freezer and used a blow-dryer to warm up the lower unit housing. After warming up the lower for about 30 min's. I took the carrier from the freezer and after slipping on a new O-ring it slid in like butter. It went in far enough that I could start the carrier nut and the rest is history. This morning I remounted the lower to the mid and retourqued the carrier nut and folded down a tab on the stainless keeper. It was very windy so I didn't put the boat in the river but all seems well when shifting to both forward and reverse. I have another lower unit in the garage that just happens to be an off-shore model and already modified with a Bob's nose cone and LWP so my tools will not get rusty for a while.
FYI: I bought all my seals and O-rings at the local Black motor dealer, I found them all on line for less money but I personally believe that a lower unit is to important to take a chance with aftermarket imported parts.

Enticer1

Test Drive

We had a real nice day today so I finally got to give the lower a workout. And I'm happy to report that it performed flawlessly. It felt good to be back on the water and I didn't even encounter any ramp rage (LOL) I want to give a big Thank You to my friend in Clinton, Tenn that guided me through this repair (you know who I mean Randy)

Doug in Tampa:surf:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear it worked out. :thumb:

It must be nice to have water versus ice as well! :yell: :D

-Chris