Another Newbe

buzz549

Hello, my name is Buzz I just bought a great used I/O boat less engine. I was telling a friend about the boat and he told me that I should not use an I/O configuration. He said that I would have nothing but trouble. I/O is weak and wouldn't stand up. It's a great looking open 20 footer with the OMC outdrive. that I would have constant trouble. He has a boating business and should know. Could ya'll give me some advice. Thanks in advance. buzz.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, my name is Buzz I just bought a great used I/O boat less engine. I was telling a friend about the boat and he told me that I should not use an I/O configuration. He said that I would have nothing but trouble. I/O is weak and wouldn't stand up. It's a great looking open 20 footer with the OMC outdrive. that I would have constant trouble. He has a boating business and should know. Could ya'll give me some advice. Thanks in advance. buzz.
Welcome aboard Buzz, nice to have you with us.

Is your friend talking about the outdrive in your boat being weak?

-Chris

buzz549

Chris, I hope this is not a double reply, My connection dropped and I had to reconnect.

Yes, he was talking about the outdrive that is about 20yrs old. The old engine burned up. I was told that the outdrive could have caused it. I'm totally new to outdrives, and I have to go by what people tell me. What about modifying the transom and useing an outboard? thks again. buzz

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Buzz,

I think what he's probably referring to is the old OMC outdrives, which you might have from the sounds of things.

Most that I've seen were white and they're getting really hard to source parts for. If that's the case, you might be better off to find another outdrive to go with the motor.

-Chris

Chris E

depends what series of omc drive it is - the old 400-800 series are not great products and parts are very scarce. the cobra drives weren't much better, but at least they share the same cut out as merc, so if it is a cobra drive a conversion to a merc would make sense.

you can fill the hole and convert to an outboard on a bracket, but keep in mind, you will be affecting the boats center of balance and could cause handling issues. if money is not an issue, then you could certainly play with that. or, and this makes more sense to me, replace the current set up with a mercruiser. i think there was a company that made a conversion plate for that need.

nothing wrong with i/o's, like anything, if they are maintained you will never have a problem. don't service them and they will let you down.

Fun Times

Do you have any photos of your boat & engine & drive set up that you could try to post here? So we can take A look at it for you to try to help you out a little more, that is if your unsure of what engine set up you do have. :)