Another New Member

Bizy

This is my first post..:bigthumb:
Never owned a boat so I have alot of questions. I would like to have a pontoon boat. I am interested only in comfort and staying afloat. The boat will only be used for fishing and lounging around.
Where can I get information about what is legal for towing and rules concerning boats on lakes in Okla?
Can any of you direct me to a place that has DIY boat plans?
Can a pontoon boat be built onto a trailer so the trailer stays permenantly attached to the boat even in the water?
What about propulsion? I need a very dependable motor. Speed and power is not necessary.
Do any of you have a homemade pontoon boat?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard Bizy. :)

Wish I could help more on some of those questions...

There are a few boats around that have built in trailering wheels, but they are mostly utility metal boats used for construction or hunting. Basically, the wheels kick up when the boat is in the water and flip down for trailering.

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a few shots that I took of one of the boats with the flip down wheels.

I took these at the boat show last year. :)

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
WOW chris what will they think of next.:shakehead:;):)
Most of the ones I've seen seemed to be geared toward either hunters or for people needing something for construction/utility use.

Many of them had bows that flipped down and turned into ramps, so that you could drive an ATV in or move cargo in easily. :)

The wheels sorta flip up so that there not dragging in the water as you drive.

-Chris

RNC

I would go with a pontoon with a bigger engine than the basic 40hp thats on most. My freind has a 24 foot pontoon with 60hp and it runs 16 mph and sucks a lot of fuel. I would atleast get a 90-115 a bigger engine will not have to work so hard and burn less fuel.